Bellenden Road Zebra Crossing closed

Beulah

There's yet more roadworks along Bellenden Road.

This time it's the gas people.

To add to the considerable inconvenience and chaos, this time they have "closed" the zebra crossing near the junction with Choumert Rd by placing two signs saying "crossing out of use".

I think they have done this illegally but am not sure.

From what I understand only the highway authority can authorise the closing of a crossing / taking it out of service.

Legal or not, it has been done with zero consideration for the large number of pedestrians who rely on using that to cross what is a very busy and dangerous road.

No alternative measures have been put in place.

As usual the only consideration is given to motorists - and even then not much.

Can anyone point me in the right direction on where I can find out more?

Thanks.

Have a look on the Roadworks Register - this should link to the right set:

http://public.londonworks.gov.uk/roadworks/?x=5sxN5v2DuBuqjs3IugF7Fg

There is then a link to report problems with those roadworks, including being "tidy and safe with a clutter-free site so it is safe for pedestrians, cyclists and other road users".

No idea how responsive TFL are to this kind of stuff but it does appear to be the offical route to raise this sort of issue.

It's equally irritating for the driving residents of Choumert Road who now have the street exit onto Bellenden blocked by queueing traffic. At least the water works came with a warning through the door and a sense of how long the roads would be closed for - this just seemed to pop up over night.

Having been through a summer of road works and disruption, I really thought they'd finished but no such luck. Maybe the holes should be given a semi permanent covering so they can just lift the lid next time they want to replace utility piping.

Bah!

http://www.southwark.gov.uk/info/200083/roads_highways_and_pavements/608/roadworks_timetable/1

i am a shopkeeper on bellenden road and we have spoken to southwark highways before christmas regarding the road works that seem to be continuously blocking up bellenden road for the past 2 years on and off

the current road works are a continutation of the the road works from before christmas, we managed to get them to postpone them for dec and jan.

please continue to complain as the more complaints means they will speed up the works, link attached to this post

it is so damanging to the businesses and also so infuriating to the people who live in the area, so please complain

It is ridiculous that they're digging the same patch up again and that it's nigh on impossible to turn out of Choumert onto Bellenden if there's busy traffic. I've previously complained to Southern Gas Networks and Morrisons utilities about the fact they didn't coordinate the works with Thames water to avoid digging up the same sections on multiple occasions. SGN to their credit replied and sent someone round but they essentially said they had no choice but to do them separately.

well personally I wish the shopkeepers hadn't got it postponed and maybe it would all be done and dusted in one burst of pain instead of 2. Was there any wider discussion with residents in the affected streets about delaying it, I didn't see or read anything from anyone about that. What difference would doing it in Dec/Jan make to doing it now in Feb/March??

Cx

Explanation from Southwark

Dear Mr. Tudor

Thank you for your e-mail to Peter John which has been passed to me for reply. I fully understand your concern with the amount of road works in the Bellenden Road area. While the Council has powers to control the manner in which road works are undertaken we do not have the power to refuse an application from companies undertaking the work.

In this case Southern Gas Networks are currently working at the junction of Bellenden Road and Chadwick Road. The works are the final phase of gas main replacements in The Lane ward. The works on Bellenden Road commenced in September 2012 and consist of the following,

a) laying approximately 350 metres of new 315mm gas mains

b) abandoning 350 metres of old 12" gas mains

c) 12 mains connections

d) relay/renew 52 service connections to properties

The works were suspended over the Christmas period to allow some respite to the business and residents and recommenced on February 18th to complete the final 12 service connections to the properties at the junction of Chadwick Road. Works are estimated to completes March 8th.

Previous works at this location included the Thames Water Victorian Main Replacement works. Due to the logistics involved and the position of the gas and water mains, it was not possible to have both gas and water working simultaneously.

I can assure you that we do scrutinise the these works regularly and if you have any further concerns regarding these works please contact Ian Law, our street works manager, who copied into this e-mail

Regards