We urgently need a stage for the Dulwich Festival Fair music!

Sue

Admin, apologies if this is in the wrong section and if so please move, but for obvious reasons we'd like as many people as possible to see this ASAP.

The Goose Is Out! ( http://www.thegooseisout.com ) has provided the music at the Dulwich Festival Fair on Goose Green for the past two years.

We and all the musicians give our time for free (well, water and a few cans of Stella :) ) and the only cost to the festival organisers is the hire of the stage, PA and sound technician.

This year we have experienced huge difficulty in finding an outdoor stage/PA to hire at a price which the festival can afford. We have been looking since October and have exhausted the options which we know about.

This is now getting time-critical as the Fair is on Sunday 12 May and we can't book musicians unless/until we have a stage (although we are now looking at options without a stage!).

Can anybody out there help? If so, please PM me if either you have a stage/PA to hire or you know somebody who does - thanks!

"Good idea but possibly a bit late to organise now ...."

depends on how much money surely?

I can't imagine the shotfall between cost and funds is so great a few local businesses couldn't cobble something together - but without even a ballpark figure people aren't going to just volunteer

StraferJack Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> "Good idea but possibly a bit late to organise now

> ...."

>

> depends on how much money surely?

>

> I can't imagine the shotfall between cost and

> funds is so great a few local businesses couldn't

> cobble something together - but without even a

> ballpark figure people aren't going to just

> volunteer

xxxxxx

We are not in charge of the budget, and I don't want to post figures up here as I don't have authority to do that.

I have PMed you.

Hi there. I organise the overall event and already have generous support from local businesses. The budget hasn't changed but we were being quoted over four times what we have paid in the past. Sue has been brilliant at getting what we needed for a smaller fee. Now that is not possible, we are looking at market rates which are prohibitive. The event doesn't get any funding, I finance it myself with the generous help of local business sponsors plus raising money by selling stallholder pitches.

Thanks for the suggestions, we shall have to keep trying.

x 4 of previous rates?

That's got to be a major stumbling block. Hopefully someone can point in direction of a cheaper supplier and if there is a smaller shortfall then maybe some of us locals will chip in.

Do keep us posted tho

(technically, this would normally go in the Wanted section - but given the popularity of the annual fair I'd support it staying in this main section)

handymaneast dulwich Wrote:

> I have a pa system you could use i am not sure

> what sort of system your after but i have 2 very

> large speakers cables mics etc ? could also help

> build a stage if materials are provided.

xxxxxxx

That's really kind of you Handyman.

We have our own PA system and have access to others, but for an outside event we need something much more powerful (sorry, I realise I'm assuming yours wouldn't be. It would be great if you could PM me details) - plus a generator.

The stage is problematical because it needs adjustable legs for use on uneven ground, plus it needs to be waterproof. We have a modular stage which somebody very kindly built for us recently for use at our concerts Upstairs at the Dog, but because it is neither waterproof nor has adjustable legs it would not be suitable for Goose Green.

We also need a cover for the stage in case of rain, cover for the sound desk etc ditto, transport for everything and a sound technician experienced in outdoor events (our Goose sound guy is fantastic, but is a perfectionist and does not want to attempt to do the sound for an outdoor event of this size).

ETA: We have now exhausted all our personal contacts and - as said above - the commercial rate for everything we need is prohibitive.

ETA: I hasten to add my OH Nygel is also involved in this, I'm not doing it all on my own :))

KalamityKel Wrote:

> out of curiousity which companies have u tried?

> im not noseying who quoted what just who uve

> decided to not use... i might have some ideas but

> might not b wot/whom ur after...

xxxxxx

It's not a matter of "deciding not to use" anyone - it's a matter of not having sufficient money available to pay what they have quoted.

For avoidance of doubt, this is what we need:

Outdoor stage large enough for a four or five piece band

Cover for stage

Appropriate PA with sound desk and speakers for an outdoor event

Cover for PA

Somebody to dig channel in Goose Green turf for cables and cover in again

Generator or some other means of power

Transport to and from Goose Green

Stage crew to erect and dismantle stage

Sound technician

Appropriate mics, mic stands, cables, DI boxes etc (I presume these would be included with the PA but if not we have some we can provide)

If you have some ideas as to possible providers, please PM me, that would be great, thanks :)

Sue Wrote:

> It's not a matter of "deciding not to use" anyone

> - it's a matter of not having sufficient money

> available to pay what they have quoted.

>

To be a little on the petty side your budget certainly does make it a matter of "deciding not to use"!

I was enquiring as to who you've already approached to give me an ide,a without you having to say prices, the kind of company your can afford and who you have been in touch with already - no point suggesting the same businesses afterall!

I'll have a look through our books at work and see what we've got.

x

Enormous thanks to the people who have offered to help with donations towards the cost, however there are organisational problems with that.

Enormous thanks also to the people who have suggested possible avenues to investigate, all of which we are following up.

I have been to gigs where the stage was a delivery lorry - they simply undo the side covers and it opens up. Its also water proof and you just need to drive it where it is level. You have probably thought of this but I thought I would chip it in.

Otta Wrote:

> Hmmm, I always thought they did the lot, worth

> giving them a bell.

xxxxxx

Will do but have a few other irons in the fire at the moment, time is getting short and I'm losing the will to live :))