Council to drop Everyone Active for Leisure Centres

ed_pete

Looks like they're funding it already or presumably would have had to close down, so may as well:

", have resulted in Southwark Council funding the borough?s leisure provision until the end of its contract with Everyone Active."

Oh well, at least all those PCNs have been put to good use I guess...

The staff are good, though and I hope they manage to stay employed.

I would imagine those directly employed will be covered by TUPE. However those coming in as 'free' contractors - to take classes for instance, but not directly employed - and for whom Everyone Active does not pay employer's NI contributions - won't be covered by TUPE. Unless Southwark massively changes 'the offer' to clients however I would expect those roles to remain.

Nigello Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> They are letting it run down, and have been for a

> while. The cardio machine monitors don't link to

> TV or YouTube, as proclaimed on the screen, for

> example. The staff are good, though and I hope

> they manage to stay employed.

agree with your comments on both counts.

Its a disaster for me because I joined the gym because EA also run the centres in Westminster which is where I work and therefore can use gyms after work. Otherwise I'm stuck to only going on days off.

I know they're open until 10pm but getting home from work at 8.30 from W1 THEN changing and going to the gym is going to be a pain.

Also council run gyms tend to be pretty rubbish.

We have no decent Virgin active type offering in the area so we're a bit stuck if the leisure centre goes downhill.

I am not surprised to hear this - the gym in Camberwell suffers from no equipment being replaced, lazy and disinterested staff never bothering to be in the gym (I've raised several times concerns that the gym is unstaffed) and at times I have real security concerns - particularly after being threatened by an individual who acted so aggressively to me that the police had to be called by a private personal trainer due to the lack of any staff.

I won't miss EA in anyway.