Frontages on F H Road shopping parade

Nigello

A yellow, Southwark notice on a lamppost at Dunstan's/F H Road shows a map with the shops from (I think) the newsagent opposite the park to about halfway down the parade of shops (perhaps a bit further) highlighted in read and talks of improvements.

I think it said S46 - does anyone know what this could mean in practice? Uniform paving outside the shops? Cleaner shop fronts? Trees? Planters?

Get someone to read or copy the notice? Environmental Protection Act 1990 comes to mind after a search on 's.46 council': provision and required use by occupiers of household waste receptacles. Though notices seem to be served on individual householders. Might this be a confirmation of the highway department's agreement to placing of receptacles along the road? https://www.legislation.gov.uk/ukpga/1990/43/section/46. I've not found anything relevant in bthe ConsulktationHub. Send someone to read or copy the notice.

I looked again. I never have success in uploading photos on this site so I transcribe:

Article 4 Direction: Shopping Frontages SF46 (2--46 F H Road)

The Direction applies to development in Southwark's shopping frontages outside of town centres noted in the following class of the GPDO:

Class MA, Part 3 of Schedule to the said Order as it relates to changes of use from Commercial, Business and Leisure Class E to a dwellinghouse (Class C3). This Article 4 Direction will come into effect on 1 August 2021.

Development of the descriptions set out above should not be carried out on the land shown edged red...unless planning permission is granted or an application made under Part 3 of the Town and Country Planning Act 1990 (as amended).

Could someone please translate and apply it to reality! Thanks

It looks to be related to this:

https://consultations.southwark.gov.uk/corporate-strategy/article-4-direction-class-e/

National changes to planning rules that the Government is bringing in allow developers permitted rights to change building uses which are currently within Class E (commercial, business and service) to change to use Class C3 (residential) without needing planning permission.

Local councils can prevent those permitted development rights applying automatically, using something called an Article 4 direction. Per Southwark's summary "An Article 4 Direction can be used to remove specific permitted development rights in all or parts of the local authority?s area. It would not restrict development altogether, but instead ensure that development requires planning permission."

So short answer is, this stops developers from turning the Forest Hill Road shops into residential accommodation without first seeking planning permission.

I remember when it was Osgoods, next shop Express Dairy, then Jonathons and then at the end of that short parade of shops on the corner was the Greengrocers well before it became the Turkish Supermarket. There was a bakers (part of a local chain) where the Turkish Spa place is, and before that it was the TV repair shop.

Ron Gorton, greengrocer, last I heard living in Brighton area, as are Toni and Gerry lavelle who ran the Unwins off licence. J J Charlesworth ran the shoe repair shop, Hamiltons, ran a household goods shop, pots and pans. Fred Odhams ran the newsagents that is now Londis, always a free drink on Christmas morning. Dulwich Vape was the undertakers.

Bill Coe ran the TV repair shop, now in the Orpington area I Believe.

Here's the list of businesses on FH road from the Kelly's Directory from 1910's. It looks like 120 was a confectioner back then, even though there was another at 116 (118 was a dairy). Perhaps they bought a lot of sweets back then.

http://specialcollections.le.ac.uk/digital/collection/p16445coll4/search/searchterm/London/field/place/mode/exact/conn/and/order/nosort

Many of these shops have vandalised frontages that drag the area down. Councillors don?t intervene to offer cleaning or ask business owners spruce themselves up, probably lest they ?offend? them. I won?t use a business that is tatty and disregards its neighbours, especially when they shut up shop and leave at end of business leaving tatty and uninviting shutters, etc.