How will the ULEZ be enforced in ED?

Hello all

I?m in favour of the ULEZ expansion which is due to be implemented in October 2021. Mainly because one of my kids has asthma so I?m hoping the expected reduction in pollution will help.

But I?m curious how it will be enforced in ED, as I haven?t seen new cameras anywhere. It seems like it would be pretty easy to drive around ED and not trigger any cameras. So without the threat of being fined/having to pay the ULEZ fee, what?s the incentive for people to switch to lower polluting cars?

Maybe check out what?s currently the case for the existing ULEZ scheme ?

AFAIK they?re just extending the boundary so I?d expect the boundary provision to be the same but further out from central London, and the admin/rules for within ULEZ zone to be the same/similar.

I live on a road which ends on the South Circulsr so just in the zone. Cameras appeared over the summer just inside the junction so they?ll definitely trigger those crossing into. I?m guessing there will be some internal zone ones too. I know people in town who have moved their car within the congestion zone and been charged so expect same principle.

richard tudor Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> Which like LTN will see a great influx of traffic

> which again will move the problem to another area.

> The whole thing

> has not been sensibly thought through. ?? in

> Southwark's eyes only

Not sure you've sensibly thought through your comment, bud. It's not even Southwark's scheme.

#SouthwarkDerangementSyndrome

Great question! I've been waiting years to hear what others in the area think on this topic.

FWIW I don't see how TFL can place a camera on every corner or street in the expanded zone hence why I haven't bothered selling my old diesel. If I do end up with a camera close-by, I shall pay the ?12.50 per day. It's cheaper for me than buying a new car.

Here's a photo of one in Underhill Road.

The problem with thinking you can avoid the cameras is that you don't know you've been fined until a few weeks later when the PCN arrives and if you did the same journey several times, several PCNs can arrive at once and give you a very big shock.

If you set up auto-pay with TFL, then you pay ?10 instead of ?12 and if you get caught on camera without knowing it, at least you won't get a PCN.

They're certainly on all the junctions with the south circular from what I've read. There will be loads of local journeys you can make without getting caught, but they're so short that you may as well walk or cycle unless you can't.

As with others we only use the car twice a month so paying the charge is still cheaper than buying a new car (our current one is only worth ?250). It does irk a little that these are long journeys out of London and only involve a half mile journey down Lordship Lane to the south circular, but will take it on the chin.

rahrahrah Wrote:

> KidKruger Wrote:

> --------------------------------------------------

> -----

> > But regardless of only using the car twice a

> > month, aren?t you still going to have to pay a

> fee

> > for every day your car (if non-ULEZ compliant)

> is

> > parked in/enters the ULEZ zone ?

>

>

> That was my understanding.

TfL: "A daily charge runs from midnight to midnight. If you drive within the ULEZ area across two days, for example before midnight and after midnight, you will have to pay two daily charges."

Charges only apply to cars driven, not parked.

Lowlander Wrote:

> No is only when you drive. Otherwise it would be

> 4,575 each leap year or 4,562.5 on non leap years.

Oh really?

Is that true

That may be a game changer for me if so. I thought it was ?12.5O for every day your car was within the zone, parked or driven?

Can somebody post a link which states the rule very clearly and unambiguously, please?

Obviously when I say is that true, I'm not referring to Lowlander's figures 🤣