Fusion still presiding over shabby shambles at EDLC

I need to start exercising again but with what appears to be achilles tendonitis that is taking ages to go away it's going to need to be exercise that doesn't put any weight on my ankle. So swimming seems to be the only option. Such a shame then that my local pool seems not to have many fans.

Given the above complaints what would be the best place to head to instead? I would need to use public transport coming from East Dulwich and am on really quite a low budget (otherwise would consider the private health health clubs) but if anyone has found other local pools to be better I'd love to hear about them. I would probably be considering either a late evening or an early morning Saturday swim, but anytime I can swim in lanes without hitting someone else's head during the weekend would also work for me!

Am intrigued by something I've read about called SwimFit so if anyone has tried that, again would be great to hear about it.

Meanwhile I hope that someone is able to do something at EDLC to sort out these problems.

I went for a swim this morning, and am pleased to report that the showers in the ladies all have doors on now! The clock in the pool has indeed been replaced, but I thought it was smaller than the previous version - it's certainly smaller than the timer one on the right, and I thought the original was the same size as it. Still, it's good to have one there.

I was a bit annoyed that I'd not heard back from Fusion, but received an email this afternoon from the general manager, apologising that no-one had got back to me, and saying that some works have been done, but they had more to do overnight. Apparently they are having lots of problems with the hairdryers. He also asked me to let him know if there were any further issues. A late reply, but a good one when I received it, and changes are being made.

I am very concerned to hear about the treatment of the staff though. You can only make people redundant if their job no longer exists. Clearly, there are still reception staff, so the jobs do exist, therefore if the staff have been unfairly treated, I do hope that they are taking legal action.

Greenstocking - Crystal Palace National Sports Centre has an excellent Olympic sized swimming pool and the rates for a casual swim, from memory, are very reasonable. I've never seen it really busy, and the size of the pool means that you always have space.

Not sure how accessible it is by public transport though, there might be buses that go that way, but I'm not sure.

Pickle Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

>

> Not sure how accessible it is by public transport

> though, there might be buses that go that way, but

> I'm not sure.

xxxxxxx

Train goes direct from ED to CP I believe, and CP station is just by the sports centre.

It's such a shame to see what's happening at ED concerning staff. I truly hope the three ladies have taken the necessary action against the company. They were all lovely and very good at their jobs. I also heard this week that a fourth member of staff is leaving as she feels out of place with the decisions being made by the new management team. This young lady has always been extremely polite and helpful to me on every occasion and seems to be carry a lot of weight as there is lots of new staff who don't have a clue what they are doing. I've come across the new sales manager a handful of times and she shows zero interest in the customers at all and appears dismissive and rude. I hope the new staff can live up to the old staff in time as it is ridiculous to have got rid of competent staff all for the sake of a new manager.

In terms of the repairs... Slow but getting there

Very interested to read all this having been to the Forest Hill pools last week for the first time - the reception staff there were of the 'I-can't-belive-someone-is-being-this-rude-and-unhelpful-I-just-wanted-a-swim' ilk...if the centres are run by the same company, seems the problems may be widespread...

I'm happy with the pool and the gym, both of which I use regularly in the early morning - much better than in the old days. Quite good value too. Only real complaint is about the showers, which don't seem to know what temperature they should be at. They should be told.

Greenstocking25 Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> Pickle and Sue, thanks for your help! I will check

> Crystal Palace out.

xxxxxx

Map showing sports centre and station:

https://maps.google.co.uk/maps?oe=utf-8&client=firefox-a&ie=UTF-8&q=crystal+palace+sports+centre&fb=1&gl=uk&hq=sports+centre&hnear=0x48760144d0c84055:0x260eae2ec8a612b1,Crystal+Palace,+Beckenham&cid=0,0,2934358171038493383&ei=htk0UZLzLsWd0AWcooDQDQ&ved=0CKcBEPwSMAA

I use to work for EDLC shortly after they re-opened the swimming pool in 2010 and I left near the end of 2011 for couple of reasons one of them being the upper management issues with Fusion.

From first hand experience working for Fusion at EDLC I can say that despite sometimes the staff may not be so enthused about there jobs; they're having to deal with flak from all corners. Whether it be from customers, management or the councillors. My experience with the management lead by Fusion nearly took them to the tribunal courts for mistreatment of staff and negligence then again what do you expect from an organisation that can't keep a long term general manager (average of 1 per year at the moment since its reopen in 2010).

I am deeply saddened to hear about the news of my 3 former colleagues and outraged with Fusion at the same time. They've lost 3 brilliant well experienced staff who were valued and a huge help for the community.

It's really sad hearing of all the problems that seem to be occurring at EDLC. I became a member in May last year after waiting for the refurbishments to be completed and unfortunately had to cancel my subscription in January just gone, and I know of others that have left too.

I would go to the gym after work twice a week, around 6.45pm. On almost every visit the gym was overcrowded. I would have to wait around 10 minutes before anyone moved off a machine, and when I finally got on a machine it was never the type of machine I had intended on using. It would take 40 minutes to complete a 20 minute workout. On a couple of occasions I left before even getting to the changing rooms as there were already people lining up at the edge waiting for a machine.

I started going a bit later, around 8.30pm and genuinely, it was as though I'd walked into a different gym. The only problem was the fact that it basically took up my whole evening. I tried going in the mornings and that too was much better, but I couldn't accept that while paying the regular members rate I had to make extra effort to find a time where I could actually use the facilities. The membership here is not particularly cheap, and I didn't feel i was getting what I was paying for.

I understand how many of you feel about the swimming too. Often overcrowded, I left a lane swimming session after only 10 minutes once as it was so busy that a man who was obviously getting frustrated with the number of people attempting to swim hit me at the back of my head as he was 'overtaking' me although there was no where for him to go when he passed me. He didn't apologise and if anything I felt I had done wrong. If I'd have stayed any longer though I too would have lost my temper!

I also held a small grudge against the fact that when I joined, the staff member I spoke to did not inform me that Elephant and Castle Fusion was due to be knocked down and rebuilt a couple of months later even though I had expressed that the gym was close to my office and was one of the reasons I was joining The Fusion EDLC in the first place. Saying this I have no other reason to think badly of the staff. I found they were friendly and helpful, none of my qualms were with them.

I have now joined a gym in Borough, I pay ?16 a month, I can go anytime I want, use any machine I want and book into free classes much easier. It doesn't have a pool but we find Crystal Palace and Camberwell swimming baths cheaper and much more pleasant.

It's such a shame as EDLC should technically have been perfect for me.

What I don't understand is this; the council own the property, they maintain it, all Fusion have to do is manage a thriving business in a great area, effectively a gift! I have looked on their website and see they are registered as a charity too, which I'm not quite sure whether this just gives them tax breaks? Unsure about that one, maybe someone on here can answer that one..... The point is, why are Fusion given such a gift, when they clearly can't manage their way out of a paper bag?

If there was anyone registering for swimming lessons this week, they would know what I mean. One step away from the clowns entering and a hire wire act being introduced.

I have a membership at EDLC but have to say my patience is running low.

As for the three staff members given their marching orders, if you read this, you are very much missed! This week has been proof of that.