Armed mugging

J27

Friday 13 August at 10pm. My son was mugged by a man with a knife, on Piermont Green (opposite Peckham Rye Park). He was unhurt, but his phone was stolen. I have reported this information to the police. Description of person involved ? Wearing: Hoodie and tracksuit trousers. Age: Around 20. Build: 5ft 9ins tall. Ethnicity: Black. Sex: Male. Other details: Wearing a face covering.

Thank you. Is there a more detailed description of the mugger please?

J27 Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> My son was mugged by a man with a knife, on Friday

> (13 August), at around 10pm. He was on Piermont

> Green, next to Forest Hill Road - opposite the

> park.

> His phone and keys were stolen, but he was

> unharmed. The mugger then went towards the Herne

> Tavern.

> The police came round quickly, and took details.

>

> This is just to alert people, and also to ask if

> anyone saw anything suspicious near Piermont Green

> or the Herne Tavern, at that time.

> Thanks! J

I would like to add that if anyone else has a similar experience there or feels threatened at any time please go into the Herne (when open) where the staff can keep you safe and contact who you need to.

Edited to say pretty sure this applies to any local businesses- I remember Emily?s fish bar helped in a similar situation.

obviously anyone who saw the crime or who has access to cctv would be in contact with the police.

Anyone not on this forum or unaware of the crime would have any idea (necessarily) that people passing their CCTV camera were in any way suspicious. So would have no reason at all to contact the police. And I'm afraid that people who actually see crime committed my not report it - some at least will be afraid of any consequences when the little scrotes, if even arrested, are let off with a caution.

Alice - I amdire your confidence in people. Not everyone is as public-spirited as you think, and soem may not understand the importance of what they saw or heard and choose to not make a fuss and bother the police. What is wrong with putting a description up? Sure, some people will use it to confirm biases, but is avoiding that more important than warning others and preventing them, perhaps, from becoming another victim, or from helping an individual make more solid a suspicion they had which could then help the police?

I fear your good intentions, alice, are more to do with how you would like to be perceived (even on an anonymous forum) than anything to do with the victim and others who may fall foul of the attacker.

If you could point to a peer-reviewed research paper that confirms your assertion, please post it here and I will stand corrected (though how someone or a group of someones can be criminalised when they are not actually deemed to be criminals because they haven't been found guilty in court or even questioned is uncertain to me).

To back up my CCTV point - it seems the victim knew which direction the attacker went in i.e. towards herne tavern.

Obviously we know approximately what time (around 10pm).

There is probably some CCTV around the shops/traffic lights in that area (don't know for sure, but there are in most places now).

If the victim can remember much about what the attacker looked like (obviously it was dark so this may be difficult), looking at CCTV at around that time frame may show the attacker walking/running off. A clear picture could help the police identify him.

Edit: From my experience with such things, you need to really push (and I mean really push) the police in this sort of thing.

Even take the initiative yourself and find out if there is CCTV from any of those businesses and then explicitly tell the police. Don't passively assume the police will undertake this themselves.