Card Cloning on the Lane

Hi EDF folks :)

I had my debit card cloned yesterday and then several online transactions were attempted although none were successful.

I reckon the only way was for my card to be cloned at an ATM. I attempted the one at the Co-Op but it wasn't working and then went to Barclays. I didn't notice anything wrong but according to the bank that stopped the attempted fraud the card skimmer is fairly small and most people won't notice it.

To avoid you getting your card cloned do one of 2 things.

1. Use the ATM inside the banks

2. When making a cash withdrawal have a gentle tug at the plastic mount where you insert your card. If it comes off then it's a cloning device that's been added onto the machine.

These devices aren't all that common but it's best to be on the safe side.

Cheers

Sman :)

I've had issues with the Barclay's ATM, specifically the lower down one one on the corner. On two occasions it retained my card, luckily I got it back each time and no dodgy transaction were noted afterwards.

Suffice to say I don't use either of them anymore. Completely agree with shuntman in using the ATM inside the banks however regarding point number two, if I saw anything attached to an ATM I've been told not to remove it as it may be being watched, would report it to staff within the bank, providing it's open...

shuntman Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> @holloway you've been told by whom not to remove

> it may I ask?

I've heard this too - not recently but a few years back - the fear was the gang may come over and get violent.

• 1 month later...