Mirash Tandoori alcohol inquiry ?

Spartacus Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> Did you get the kids menu again foxy ?

😀😀😀

If they have stopped serving alcohol I can't see them lasting long.

The last ED Indian restaurant to do that closed down shortly afterwards. Shame, because the food was good.

I can't remember the name, but it was on the stretch where the tapas place is now, I think.

northernmonkey Wrote:

> It was Coriander I think.

I think that become Swadesh and stopped selling alcohol and did not allow BYOB.

Strick NO ALCOHOL policy on the property.

Went out of business.

Jaflong stopped selling alcohol but allowed BYOB with no corkage charge.

Restaurant closed but moved to East Dulwich Road as Jaflong Tandoori.

Still does not sell alcohol but still allows BYOB with no corkage charge.(as far as I know.)

Never busy. Have not been for a while. Last delivery was very disappointing. Shame.

Foxy.

Jaflong still do BYOB which is GREAT as some restaurants charge ?5 a pint and Mirash Tandoori has now put a service charge on 10% so now your beer cost ?5.50 so that's one restaurant i won't use again.. used to do a sunday buffet but has stopped this now... but never mind jaflong still do a sunday buffet and with a BYOB it looks like it will clean up

DulwichFox Wrote:

> northernmonkey Wrote:

> --------------------------------------------------

> -----

> > It was Coriander I think.

>

> I think that become Swadesh and stopped selling

> alcohol and did not allow BYOB.

> Strick NO ALCOHOL policy on the property.

> Went out of business.

Yes that sounds right. No booze allowed at all. Absolutely ridiculous!

ken78 Wrote:

> Jaflong still do BYOB which is GREAT as some

> restaurants charge ?5 a pint and Mirash Tandoori

> has now put a service charge on 10% so now your

> beer cost ?5.50

Where in London (apart from Wetherspoons) does beer cost less than ?5 a pint these days?

DulwichFox Wrote:

> Pint of Voden session is ?3.30 a pint in the EDT

That sounds good! Cask ale is often a bit cheaper... not sure why, I think it's just customer expectation. For lager, even a basic Amstel/Fosters/etc tends to be at least ?5 these days.

ken78 Wrote:

> i don't know,, i stay in it's a lot cheaper i

> can't justify the price one pub wanted ?7 a pint that's a joke

Well yeah of course supermarket beer is cheaper than pub/restaurant! But you know... these guys have to make money somehow, especially when they're paying London rents and charging just ?8 or whatever for a curry. I would not expect to pay less than ?5 a pint in a restaurant in London. ?7 is pretty crazy though.

• 3 weeks later...

We had a lovely meal in Mirash last night

Hadn't been there for years, since when it's all been done out inside. Shame you can't really see that from outside.

Foxy, there is a separate drinks menu.

Kingfisher on draught. Cobra in bottles. The Kingfisher was cheaper, and absolutely fine.

We will be back! Based on the quality of last night's food it is now our Indian restaurant of choice!

90% of so called indian restaurants are owned and ran by Bangladeshi people...and they are Muslims and in Islam it is 100% Forbidden [ haram] to Drink- Buy- Sell-or Transport Alcohol. maybe thats the reason.

A very large number of South Asian restaurants in the UK are owned and operated by Muslims, as you have noted. Most are, in fact, licenced. Many Muslims (both people born into an Islamic culture, but not observant, and also 'practicing' Muslims) do in fact drink alcohol, though rarely, in my experience, to excess. They are far less likely however to consume pork, whether observant or simply 'cultural' Muslims.

Many of those restaurants which are not licenced (themselves a minority) will allow customers to bring in alcohol.

Apart from not cooking pork I have very very rarely seen any evidence of a South Asian restaurant attempting to impose Islamic (or indeed Hindu - where they would not cook beef) 'norms' on their non Islamic customers in the UK.

? Apart from not cooking pork I have very very rarely seen any evidence of a South Asian restaurant attempting to impose Islamic (or indeed Hindu - where they would not cook beef) 'norms' on their non Islamic customers in the UK.?

Not serving alcohol IMO isn?t attempting to impose Islamic norms on customers (even if there is no BYOB option).

People can choose not to go. If that means the restaurant closes, shame.

The states I?ve seen people get into at curry houses when ending their night on the pesh with an Indian meal (and more booze), insulting and racist behaviour towards staff (horrible instance, once in the Surma) - it?s good to know there?s somewhere you could have a chance of avoiding that behaviour !

May not be a winning business model in the end, but that?s the price you pay I guess for not allowing alcohol when your main customer base is white alcohol drinkers.