travelling from East Dulwich to East Croydon in the rush hour

My son is about to start doing this journey for sixth form, there are so many options (ED station, HO station, 197 bus) I wondered if anyone currently does this and what they'd recommend - ie are the trains super busy in that direction at 7.30/8am, does the bus take forever etc... or is it all much of a muchness?

23 minutes from north Dulwich, direct train twice per hour.

Current timetable is at 00 and 30 mins past each hour.

If you go from ED, it's obviously one stop further, it adds about 3 minutes to the journey.

It's not a journey I make that frequently but I know the train times for when I go - it's always been very reliable and never particularly busy. Most of the traffic at that time in the morning is coming into town from Croydon so you're going against the flow which means quiet(ish) trains.

ND can get busy with kids coming in from both Croydon and Peckham directions for the schools; ED is the quieter station at that time in the morning.

I used to get the 197 from Dulwich Library (so a fair bit closer than say, ED station) to East Croydon station - off-peak

And if peak is longer than that (and one would imagine it is significantly busier) I would say avoid. It's a long dull schlep which I was happy enough with on an idle Saturday morning but if I had to do daily? Hard no

No harm trying all options and seeing which works best for you tho

I do this journey at least once a week, though generally not in rush hour. There's a direct train from East Dulwich which takes about 25mins. It's pretty reliable and I've never seen the trains packed going that direction in the morning.

If there's an issue with trains (usually only happens on a weekend), there's always the option of getting the bus to Forest Hill and the overground from Forest Hill to West Croydon, which is about 15-20mins.

My friend regularly caught the bus the other way (from East Croydon to East Dulwich) and it took anywhere from 1.5 - 2hrs. Personally I'd avoid that option, if you can.

The 197 is a ghastly service. The buses are filthy and covered with litter, and it's one of those where it's packed downstairs and everyone seems to get on and off at every stop so it seems to spend 10 mins at every stop and takes 2 hours to get to Croydon. And it's rammed by the time it gets to Barry Road. Avoid.

Personally I use the Forest Hill option where 2 trains per hour go direct to East Croydon or use the Overground to West Croydon and then use the tram to East Croydon over the 197.

I normally use the 197 to get to Penge and that's a drag in itself and would only contemplate using the 197 during early mornings or late nights to and from Croydon.