Tax for East Dulwich residents who have destroyed their front gardens.

Paving over gardens is a bad thing - leads to greater run off and can lead to flooding. Therefore discouraging people from turning front gardens into parking spaces is a good idea.

However, this tax hike is more about fund raising for councils that good ecological awareness - I'd prefer to see greater efficiency from Southwark Council than this punitive tax rise.

So, because they can't charge them for parking outside on the road (which they're going to do for the rest of us) they're planning this to close that loophole...still, pay for their second flat in Kensington and little 9 year old Johhnies ?30K a year salary and fact finding beanos to Venezuela etc etc

Guy Fawkes where are you now that we really need you?

???? Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

>

> Guy Fawkes where are you now that we really need

> you?

I'd settle for a selective cull - reduce the number of MPs to 400. Top of my list - Harriet Harman.

Buy up Dolphin Square with the money saved and and give MPs free furnished accommodation and a daily subsistence allowance - ?20 / day should enable them to cook some pretty nutritious meals. Expenses for business entertainment - ie only that which genuinely furthers research not cosy chats with journos, mates and mistresses.

When we moved into our house in January 1975, it already had a cross over and tarmaced area for 2 cars. Cost the then owners ?75 pre 1974. The council did not permit them to tarmac all area so we still have 2 strips of 'garden' either side.

This soaks up the rain and reduces the chances of flooding. A year or so ago we had very heavy summer rain and Barry Area Residents Association had a number of people who contacted us re flooding of their homes and the way LBS and Thames Water dealt with the situation. Was not so much a car space but more has houses were being converted into flats that the drainage was not sufficient- many ground floor properties having been extended but new drainage channels not being installed.

Marmora Man Wrote:

> Paving over gardens is a bad thing - leads to

> greater run off and can lead to flooding.

> Therefore discouraging people from turning front

> gardens into parking spaces is a good idea.

>

> However, this tax hike is more about fund raising

> for councils that good ecological awareness - I'd

> prefer to see greater efficiency from Southwark

> Council than this punitive tax rise.

what does boris think about this?

Marmora Man Wrote:

> Paving over gardens is a bad thing - leads to

> greater run off and can lead to flooding.

> Therefore discouraging people from turning front

> gardens into parking spaces is a good idea.

Would the positive side of getting most peoples' cars off the street thereby making the roads less congested and safer not outweigh the drainage problem which could be solved by digging a storm water drain.

lozzyloz Wrote:

> Someone should invent a system where you can

> perforate all roads including motorways to allow

> more water to reach the water table. Front gardens

> seems such a petty thing in that context. They'll

> be bringing back tax on windows next.

I like this idea - I think Imperial College research into this kind of engineering challenge - we need to suggset it to them. I can see some difficulties in that small holes in tarmac can become rapidly huge tank traps through erosion - but that's what engineers are paid to solve.

You mean this Government is trying to unpick the previous council tax system, where they took one look at a street and banded the houses on a whim. Outrageous.

And they're doing it secretly, so we have to worry that the data will be lost. Wouldn't want anybody knowing about my flower patch.

It's a good job we have the Sunday Telegraph to investigate and tell us how it is.