Logging in to forum

To admin

Is there a problem logging into the forum?

When I log in with East dulwich Forum it takes me to the face book page. It gas never happened before.

I have to go back into history to find closed page to get on the forum. ZIs there a problem as it is a real pain.

Would appreciate hearing from you on this.

Regards

I'm not an admin, but would like to know what's been happening. From whats's been said so far I'm afraid I don't understand. Spider69's post led me to thinking that it was not actually a login anomaly -- a very strange one -- but maybe most likely to be selection of the wrong target offered by Google after entering "East Dulwich forum" in the address bar. That I decided only after doing some tests myself, that at least confirmed that possibility. But the further reports add doubt. So, can someone please describe more specifically what and where were the preceding typing, clicks and presses.

There is a sub-site of My Local Forums which also calls itself The East Dulwich Forum. As well as the FB one which comes first on a Google search.

Neither are of course this well respected and long standing East Dulwich Forum.

I am loathe to suggest name changes - but re-branding to The Original East Dulwich Forum (with the same web address) might avoid confusion - without litigation if someone steals your name it may be simpler just to change it! The Original East Dulwich Forum is probably (but I haven't checked) easier to register as unique now, for future litigation.

• Administrator

Thanks for informing me but I'm still not sure what's happening so it would really help to know:

What do people mean by a "mail site"?

Are you going to eastdulwichforum.co.uk?

"Can the unsecure menu be taken off", could you explain what the unsecured menu is?

Are you on mobiles, PC or MAC, Internet Explorer, Chrome?

Your answers will help replicate the problem so we can address it.

Thank you!

When I log in with East dulwich Forum it takes me to the face book page. It gas never happened before.

If you clear your cache and history on your browser you should find that that rogue site no longer pops up - your browser is probably 'remembering' what you see as an error. I'm guessing you searched at some time on Google and as the FB page is now top of the search list (at least it is on mine) if you clicked on the first thing you saw it would link in to the rogue FB page and then just remember that as an action, until you clear your cache.

• Administrator

Ah, I think I see the problem

A search on Google for East Dulwich Forum bring up the FB page (cheeky gits) and then next up is mail.eastdulwichforum.co.uk which means there's a server configuration error on my side. I need to sort that out, somehow.

This has been happening for a long time. The way I have got around it at times is to search east dulwich forum plus a poster's name.

The general pattern is that for a while I am able to access the forum on a simple name search and then suddenly the same name search will only bring up this facebook page. I must admit I thought it was a genuine ED FB page. I don't understand how FB can suddenly 'take over' a search term like that?

I don't understand how FB can suddenly 'take over' a search term like that?

It didn't, a person did - just like all the people who share our names and also have FB Pages. What FB does do is to promote (though payments) any FB link high up Google search.

I save the site as a bookmark - that way I always get where I want to go - I don't search every time I want to log-on.

first mate Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> The general pattern is that for a while I am able

> to access the forum on a simple name search and

> then suddenly the same name search will only bring

> up this facebook page. I must admit I thought it

> was a genuine ED FB page. I don't understand how

> FB can suddenly 'take over' a search term like

> that?

That's what SEOs do (Search Engine Optimisation engineers)

They are really in demand.

Ahhhhh it?s been happening to me for a couple of weeks now and I scrolled back to 2019 and logged in from there but this is the only way I can get in . Google will either be Facebook , Instagram or this comes up with tiny writing saying it?s not East dulwich forum !

Help

Administrator Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> Ah, I think I see the problem

> A search on Google for East Dulwich Forum bring up

> the FB page (cheeky gits) and then next up is

> mail.eastdulwichforum.co.uk which means there's a

> server configuration error on my side. I need to

> sort that out, somehow.

Interestingly I resolve to an IPv6 address for the main page and IPv4 address for the "mail" page.

Probably nothing to do with it but interesting.

> this is wat we get

That's not very surprising. Use a Bookmark, or Favourite, or whatever your system calls them. If your browser's like mine it'll even provide a Bookmark Toolbar to allow single click/touch selection of your choice web pages. (The mouse cursor was hovering over mine in the attached.)

• Administrator

You could say it was maintenance but more me trying to find out the problem and causing other issues.

I think the main problem is with the SSL certificate(s), there seem to be different ones for www. and mail. and that's causing browsers to say "watch out, there's a problem as they don't match. Don't go further as there be dragons". Or similar.

We moved the site to a new server a few months ago and I'm guessing that's when the issue started. I, and quite a few of us, rely on the browser history (mine autocompletes to www.eastdulwichforum.co.uk/forum/list.php?5) which works fine but some people go to www.eastdulwichforum.co.uk which is broken. And some go the long way round to Google to look up the forum and then click the link, which is currently showing mail.eastdulwichforum.co.uk, which is also broken.

I have some server people looking at the issue so hopefully it'll be fixed soon, thank you for flagging it up as I would never have known about it.