Stranger tryed to force child in car this morning (Feb 5th)

Really scary, Hopefully the little girl escape..

I hope the police will investigate seriously and find that guy...Fingers crossed he will not be able to catch a child on his next try (as I think if he is not mentally stable, paedophile, he will not stop to hunt...)

I imagine how scared should have been the little girl and brave she has been!

nimby Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> Of course it is hearsay.

>

> Hearsay is information gathered by one person from

> another person concerning some event, condition,

> or thing of which the first person had no direct

> experience.

Gold star for knowing the proper definition of hearsay. Fail for being an arse and sticking it in this thread.

I concur.....Nimby, many words came to mind when I read your comment. The only publishable ones are "You're a disgrace"

LadyDeliah Wrote:

> nimby Wrote:

> --------------------------------------------------

> -----

> > Of course it is hearsay.

> >

> > Hearsay is information gathered by one person

> from

> > another person concerning some event,

> condition,

> > or thing of which the first person had no

> direct

> > experience.

>

> Gold star for knowing the proper definition of

> hearsay. Fail for being an arse and sticking it in

> this thread.

What LadyD said!

Why do some people have to be such knobs on this forum? Someone started a thread about an incident that had been reported on national news yeasterday, just to warn people to be vigilant.

No you don't need more info and an accurate description of the man, you just need to know that a man tried to bundle a child in to a car, and take extra care.

Whilst hoping not to be pouring oil on the flames, there are 2 'events' here - the attempted (apparently) abduction of a child and the motive for that abduction - it is entirely reasonable to act in the first instance as if this is a random attack (as this is the worst case scenario - if it is random, then it may happen to your child)- but the actual 'motive' is (and certainly was in the first announcement) effectively hearsay - an assumption of a random act which might threaten any child.

There are a number of other scenarios, however, which would place just this child at risk - an abduction by somebody acting for one parent during a dispute about custody, an attack on a child because of whose child it was (for ransom or to put coercive pressure on that family)- all of which would mean that other parents could relax their vigilence.

So whilst the initial warning, as a general one, was a reasonable precautionary measure, it should not be assumed that the 'worst case' is in fact the only, or the 'real' case.

My understanding is that the attempted abduction (like this) of children by people unknown to them is rare - the majority of child predators work to create 'relationships' with children (grooming) - 'rare' of course does not mean impossible, so continued vigilence is entirely sensible, but we shouldn't make assumptions about motive before this is clarified (if it ever will be) or live our lives in continued fear because of it.

nimby Wrote:

> Thanks I think we are all agreed stupid to get

> upset at being told you are talking hearsay. But

> its not a disgrace just a failure to understand

> the meaning of one word.

I'd dispute that you're actually applying the definition correctly in this case.

hearsay: 1.Information received from other people that cannot be adequately substantiated.

--> The information could be substantiated by the school.

hearsay: 2.The report of another person's words by a witness.

--> The OP is reporting her (or his) own personal experience of a text received from the school. Her report of her experience is not hearsay. It is her actual experience. Now, the contents of the text could be hearsay, except that they could be substantiated by the school. Also, if a police report has been filed by the school, this would also substantiate it.

So until we see some evidence one way or another, how could we either confirm or deny this as hearsay? It is merely a report.

Or was it that you were hoping this was hearsay b/c you don't want it to be true?