Sunday building works

Construction noise is not allowed on a Sunday or bank holiday. These are Southwark's permitted working hours:

https://www.southwark.gov.uk/noise-and-antisocial-behaviour/construction-noise

However, if contractors choose to ignore them - and I have experience of this on a 9-month build on the house next to me - you haven't got much choice but to simply try to reason with them. You can in theory call out the Southwark noise team but I'm not sure they're back working yet. Good luck!

Definitely report. Saturday afternoons, Sundays & Bank Holidays are not allowed unless they've applied for a section 61 consent:

'Construction and demolition work can only be carried out within specified hours or with permission from the council. Construction noise is considered to be a nuisance outside of these hours:

Monday to Friday 8am to 6pm

Saturdays 9am to 2pm

Sundays and Bank Holidays no works

Construction noise includes all work undertaken by electricity, gas and water companies as well as our own council departments.

If you are being disturbed by construction work outside of standard construction hours, report it to us as soon as possible.

If you wish to carry out noisy work outside of normal working hours, visit our construction page to apply for Section 61 consent to carry out noisy demolition and/or construction works.'

Southwark Noise Team are up and running, but cannot enter properties. They assess noise from outside, give reference numbers & record incidents.

For those of us who have been working from home the constant noise of building and gardening work can drive you crazy. Most builders seem to not work outside normal hours - perhaps the regular sound of circular saws over much of the weekend is DIY - decking and the like. Not really sure why anyone needs petrol driven gardening tools with the relatively small gardens in my area.

So a general plea to think about others in your area. I did report a builder yonks ago for working outside normal hours and the council got onto it. The gents who arrived an hour early and insisted on having a loud conversation were not appreciated from 7 onwards. It always amuses me that the bin lorries are also out by then, and some gent scraping the road (aggghhhh).

Maybe we should be like the Germans and have a quiet law on Sundays

https://liveworkgermany.com/german-quiet-time-shhh-its-sunday/

I live round this way too and it seems like every other house has scaffold and a skip at the moment. Definitely seen a few builders working deep in to the weekends. Not cool.

siousxiesue Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> Is there any prohibition on works (not DIY

> definitely) on a Sunday?

>

> This was before 8am, I'm in the Playfield/Colwell

> Road area.

And I really don't fancy leaving the house in me dressing gown, looking for the bleeders! No question I would report if I know who it is

PSJ Wrote:

> I live round this way too and it seems like every

> other house has scaffold and a skip at the moment.

> Definitely seen a few builders working deep in to

> the weekends. Not cool.

>

> siousxiesue Wrote:

> --------------------------------------------------

> -----

> > Is there any prohibition on works (not DIY

> > definitely) on a Sunday?

> >

> > This was before 8am, I'm in the

> Playfield/Colwell

> > Road area.

Slightly different question following on from this. Is diy allowed on Sundays? Ie a bit of drilling and hammering in the garden? Seems tricky to get anything done on just a Saturday. Everything on Southwark seems to be related to builders noise and construction.

You have the right to maintain your property, fix up your garden, and take care of DIY projects on any weekend or evening but obviously not working too late.

If one is a working person then often it?s only weekends/evenings available to take care of such projects.

yeknomyeknom Wrote:

> Slightly different question following on from

> this. Is diy allowed on Sundays? Ie a bit of

> drilling and hammering in the garden? Seems

> tricky to get anything done on just a Saturday.

> Everything on Southwark seems to be related to

> builders noise and construction.

KidKruger Wrote:

> You have the right to maintain your property, fix

> up your garden, and take care of DIY projects on

> any weekend or evening but obviously not working

> too late.

> If one is a working person then often it?s only

> weekends/evenings available to take care of such

> projects.

>

> yeknomyeknom Wrote:

> --------------------------------------------------

> -----

> > Slightly different question following on from

> > this. Is diy allowed on Sundays? Ie a bit of

> > drilling and hammering in the garden? Seems

> > tricky to get anything done on just a Saturday.

> > Everything on Southwark seems to be related to

> > builders noise and construction.

'Noisy diy' is one of the nuisances that Southwark will take an interest in, particularly if during unsociable hours (https://www.southwark.gov.uk/noise-and-antisocial-behaviour/noise-and-nuisance). I think consideration towards others is key.