M&S food poisoning?

Hello,

Has anyone recently purchased a chicken from M&S on Lordship lane and become very ill after eating it? Obviously food poisoning is very hard to prove but I just wanted to see if anyone has had a similar experience?

When did you buy it. ?

Was it a Warm / Hot day. ?

Did you take it straight home. ?

How was it stored ?

Was it in date .. before Use By Date

How did you Cook It ?

Did you wash your hands after handling The Chicken ?

Was anyone else affected ?

How long after eating the Chicken were you unwell ?

What else did you eat in the 24 hours prior to eating the Chicken

Lots of things to consider ..

Foxy

It's a very broad rule of thumb, but with food poisoning the 'culprit' will cause vomiting about 4-6 hours after ingestion, and/ or diarrhoea about 8-10 hours - so you can track back to work out a likely cause based on a timeline. If a number of people share symptoms of course a shared meal is likely - but there are other causes of these symptoms - norovirus for instance, which may well also be shared.

Salmonella is much less common now in the British chicken flock - but handwashing after handling raw poultry is still very advisable, as is cleaning any knives or boards used. And quite thorough cooking.

Food poisoning from whole chickens or chicken portions, if properly home cooked and 'in date' is relatively unusual - if the chicken doesn't smell 'off' then it probably isn't. It is more likely contracted through eating prepared meals or from restaurants (or at home) where meals have been re-heated or kept too long prepared but unrefrigerated.

Hi All,

Thanks for the replies. This was a roast in the bag chicken, so it was very difficult to tell if it was OK or not prior to cooking, however it was in date, not a particularly hot day and the symptoms appeared pretty much as described above. I am very thankfully my 18 month old didn't want any of it, and he was thankfully ok! Hygiene was meticulous as always, especially that we have a little toddler running around.

Needless to say, we wont be eating chicken again for a long time!

Did you go to your GP and request a stool sample? Most food poisoning isn't traced as this is not followed up. You could also report to Southwark Environmental Health.

As DF said there could be numerous reasons. Due to Covid we are all tending to be more hygienic nowadays, but, for examople, British Olympic teams have people with them regularly disinfecting surfaces including door handles, as norovirus tends to be quite common when people congregate.

From what I can tell there is a general issue at the moment with deliveries to all grocery shops.

https://www.retail-week.com/grocery/grocers-hit-by-availability-issues-as-driver-shortage-bites/7040045.article?authent=1

I'm not sure if this could effect what's on the shelves (are groceries stuck in storage longer than usual ?)

I've noticed fruit is riper and more likely to be off - can't tell with other products (I often eat after the best before ... and have eaten after use by - when its one day).

Also when you're single and you open a pack of (say bacon) and you know you won't finish it in the 2 days the instructions say to do - are you supposed to chuck it - buy smaller I guess LOL.

We all get food poisoning or similar symptoms from one time to another, usually a dodgy stomach etc. Occasionally a little more serious. Should have seen me when I first went to India (it was Tibetan tea, and the next few times I went to the sub continent all was fine).

There's only an occasional serious outbreak - Salmonella, Listeria, Botulism, e-coli and the odd fungus. The food industry has good hygiene standards, traceability, due diligence and the like. Poultry and seafood are probably the most likely causes.

It's as much about good handling and hygiene at home.

Move along move along, nothing to see here.

Penguin68 Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> Freeze it in what you think will be the right

> amounts for each use as soon as you get it. Don't

> open and use the pack and then freeze it when it

> reaches its use by date.

LOL that's the sort of clever thing I never do but would save me money and waste :)