Dunstans Road

Dunstans is a lovely road, I don't live on it but am just round the corner from it.

Advantages are: between Peckham Rye and Dulwich Park

Depending on what end you are moving to there is a good parade of shops on Forest Hill Road and also the library end of Lordship Lane

Some nice pubs and cafes nearby.

Lots of greenery.

Bus stops on Lordship lane, Barry Road, Underhill Road and Forest Hill Road are all handy.

Great view from Dawson Heights.

I agree about the school traffic but there is always going to be something.

I have a few friends who live on Dunstans and I have honestly never heard them complaining about the noise of the traffic.

We've lived this end of ED for 17 years and it is really lovely.

TJ Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> Gets busy at school drop off and collection time

> due to the school. Parents who live 300 yards away

> still seem to insist on driving.

This is total balls. No one who lives 300m from the school drives. It is busier for the 10 minute period of school drop off but Even then it?s not that busy and it?s only for 10 minutes. I have quite a few friends who live on Dunstans and I live round the corner. It?s a really lovely bit of ED to live in.

Have lived on Dunstans road for c. 10 years and haven?t found the road noise to ever be a problem (school run or not)

Completely agree with point about being between the two parks is the big advantage (I actually prefer peckham rye). For families, it?s ideal; good schools, local shops, great parks and other amenities (eg Horniman).

I?ve lived on Dunstans Road for a long time. It?s lovely. No issue with traffic noise. Having the two parks (and soon a new entrance into Camberwell New Cemetery from Underhill Road) makes it a really special place to live.

Hi, I?ve lived on Dunstans for 12 years. It?s quiet here. I love being close to the parks/green spaces (Dulwich Park, Peckham Rye, Dawson?s hill, Sydenham woods, Horniman). It?s easy to walk to Dulwich Village and Lordship Land shops. I don?t notice school traffic noise but I?m not that close to the school. The views over London are stunning. If you walk to the top of Dawson?s hill you can see the views and many of us have these views from our properties.

It?s quick to get to Forest hill station or Peckham Rye station in 10-15 minutes by bus.

It?s a lovely part of Dulwich to live in xx

Another fan here. We?ve been on Dunstans for about 12 years, first renting, then we bought. It?s in a fantastic position (I?d add One Tree Hill and Horniman gardens to the green spaces list. They?re both only 15 minutes walk.) The Forest Hill Road shops/pubs/cafes are great and include a post office and two pharmacies, so we have all the essentials without needing to go to Lordship Lane or Peckham. There?s even street food stalls on Saturdays. Who needs Northcross Road! Oh and the best hairdresser in ED as well.

School traffic can be a nightmare on the middle stretch but that only affects you if you?re trying to drive anywhere yourself at that time. The rest of the day the traffic?s fine. Parking can be a bit of a nightmare a times, but that?s London, not just Dunstans Road.

Hope you decide to join us.

Dunstans is a road of who halves (well, 2/3 really) with the bit from Goodrich up to the junction with Upland having larger houses and some really long gardens (though this is also the case with some houses between Goodrich and Underhill). The school traffic really could be a lot less but that would require greater input from the school (which pushed against LTNs and other measures, according to council members I have been in touch with) so that is a bit of a letdown. Dawson's Hill is great for wildlife and greenery and the short but strenuous walk up it can reward you with great views.

Also, is there an apostrophe or not? Is it like King's Cross, where it was eventually put back after having lost it for years?

• 5 months later...

hi Dulwichlass - were there street socials before? We have a person on our street who is frequently organising stalls in her garden and MacMillan coffee mornings.

We also have a street whatsapp group - maybe you could see if your neighbours are interested in that?

It's actually really nice to know who we live near and I'd say in general we're not so good at it but should do better.

the thread has been revived to talk about a Christmas get together - I think it's a great idea.

I don't live on the road but just around the corner and we have a Whatsapp group (fully inclusive) and there are lots of things we arrange - we have MacMillan Coffee Mornings, Christmas socials and things throughout the year.

Does anyone live on Dunstans Road who can set up a Whatsapp?

it's all related to the vibe of living on the street - more so than whether it is grammatically correct.

It's a fab area - it's always great to connect with your neighbours and our street Whatspp group is really successful - from giving things away/ selling things/ help with all sorts of things and social stuff.

I strongly recommend it and hope that other streets do the same - it's much better than not knowing who you live near.

so - if you live on Dunstans, why not get in touch!