Young man violently attacked a mother walking home with her son on Wood Vale please be vigilant

Alice, put aside for a moment the fact that you feel that the local police may have been dealing with something more pressing than the attempted murder of a young woman - he strangled her with force for 30 seconds and smashed her head against a wall - are you saying that when they finished dealing with the more urgent crimes that were happening locally last night then it?s still reasonable that they?re not interested in the cold light of day?

If he had attempted to rape her and she had managed to fight him off in the nick of time or he had stabbed her but she was now stable and back at home, would you still be saying that the police making no effort to investigate was appropriate on the grounds that she was no longer in immediate danger and the crime was not ?ongoing??

Your response is genuinely baffling

Sounds absolutely awful MrsBoris. It's just around the corner from me but unfortunately I have no doorbell cameras to offer but I will check with my neighbours. On the few occasions where I've needed the police, it has been Southwark who responded although I think it falls under Dulwich Wood rather than Dulwich Hill.

I hope you get a better response from the authorities via Helen Hayes or otherwise. It might also be worth contacting Victim Support (https://www.victimsupport.org.uk/resources/south-london/) to see if they can help you access any support for you and your son's mental wellbeing. I know I jumped for months at footsteps behind me after I was mugged and this sounds far more traumatic.

Wood Vale is under 2 boroughs - the Horniman side is Lewisham. Not sure whether Dulwich Hill or Wood if Southwark,

Try contacting Tom Cornish.

Alot of the Police have been allocated to monitor open spaces, pubs etc in view of the Euros.

Inspector Tom Cornish | Neighbourhood Policing | Southwark | AS BCU | Peckham Police Station, 177 Peckham High Street, London, SE15 5SL tel: 0207 232 6495 | mobile: 07917 133162 Twitter: @InspTomCornish

My experience has been that raising the inadequate police response with both the local councillor - James McAsh maybe - and also Helen Hayes would be the most effective thing. The police are hopeless on this sort of thing- a friend of mine was once kicked in the head and left unconscious by attackers who said they were going to kill him and it took the police ten days to come and take a statement. They said it would be faster if you went into the station but he was hospitalised and unable to travel. Sigh. But definitely their response improved when we started a process to escalate and complain about their response.

That was a horrid experience and rather close to home too. Violent crime (surely) has to be investigated.

You should also be referred to victim support - here is a South London contact - https://www.victimsupport.org.uk/resources/south-london/

And the government website

https://www.gov.uk/get-support-as-a-victim-of-crime

I hope that the perpetrator is caught and that you are not too traumatised.

Pugwash Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> Wood Vale is under 2 boroughs - the Horniman side

> is Lewisham. Not sure whether Dulwich Hill or

> Wood if Southwark,

The Dulwich side of Wood Vale is split. Dulwich Wood between LL and Melford Road and Dulwich Hill for the rest of the road.

What a horrendous experience! So sad to read these kinds of posts, the guy is a huge danger to society and needs to be locked up. I know police are overly stretched but this guy is a serious danger, and possibly linked to other attacks earlier in the year which another poster posted above.

Hope Mrs Boris and family are ok. I?m so upset for you and your child. Awful.

taper Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> Two more attacks on Wood Vale yesterday

> apparently. Sounds like the same person.

Could you post links to these reports? Can we have more of a description? Someone who reads this forum might be able to help identify him.

I'd also be interested to know - I live around Wood Vale/Melford, and there has been a lot of discussion on the neighbourhood chat about the original attack with people checking any CCTV (none of which is likely to have caught it as people's systems don't monitor the street, as far as the discussions I have seen) but nothing about any further attacks, so it would be really useful to know more about this.

The MPS crime update makes pretty sobering reading, generally restricted to murders and the like. London is generally a pretty safe city. The current update includes an article on an initiative in Southwark and Lambeth to improve safety for women:

"Women are joining police officers on patrol in south London to share their concerns about safety, particularly in public spaces.

The Met is determined to put an end to violence against women and girls and so a new walk and talk initiative has been set up in Lambeth and Southwark.

Twenty five female neighbourhood officers are buddying up with women from within the community to walk the streets of south London and hear of their experiences, concerns and reflections.

Those taking part will be able to discuss with police any locations in which they feel vulnerable and patrols will take place at times when there are fewer people, less traffic and light so officers can get a real sense of what their worries are."

There are some named officers in the article so it may be worth raising this serious incidents (and others?) with them.

https://news.met.police.uk/news/scheme-launched-in-lambeth-and-southwark-aimed-at-improving-safety-for-women-429023

Does anyone have any more info on the attacks on Sunday. I am only asking because I was waiting at the bus stop on Underhill Road/Langton Rise for a P13 going towards Peckham at around 1.30pm when I noticed a man across the road staring at me. I waited for a little longer but was feeling a bit uneasy as he had not moved away and was really staring. I walked across the road and on to Langton Rise. I went through my gate and when I turned around to close it I noticed that he was now standing at the gates to the graveyard still watching me. I quickly went inside and called an Uber. When my Uber arrived I went outside and looked around but could not see him so then walked around the a corner to Langton Rise where the car was waiting but so was this man he was standing and looking up at the the houses. I got into the Uber and mentioned it to the Driver. He looked in his mirror and said it's ok he is going away now. This man was quite noticeable he was black quite skinny wearing a mask. He was wearing a blue shirt with black stripes (like a lumberjack shirt) which was strange as it as so hot on Sunday and jeans. Not sure about his age but could have been between 20 and 30.