Young man violently attacked a mother walking home with her son on Wood Vale please be vigilant

My friend was walking up wood vale with her 10 year old son at 8:45 tonight when out of the blue a young man started shouting at them and then grabbed her by the neck and startled strangling her with significant force. Her son ran away to try to get help and after a few seconds the man loosened his grip to take a deep breath himself and my friend managed to get out of his grip. She describes him as in his 20s, black, in a tracksuit and well presented, wearing a black cap and with a black AirPod in one ear. He didn?t smell of booze or obviously present as being under the influence of anything substance wise and it was totally random seemingly. She has called the police who aren?t particularly interested and say they will send someone round in due course to take a statement. She asked me to post to warn others to be vigilant. Thanks

Hi

Yes I walking along Wood Vale with my son and a man who was walking towards me, out of nowhere tried to smash my head against a garden wall and then proceeded to strangle me quite violently. My son was with me and is traumatised. This happened at around 8:45pm this evening. He was in his 20s, wearing grey tracksuit, black cap, ear pod, black and about 5?7.

I have called the police but I am still waiting for them to come round.

Hi Mrs Boris, I hope you and your son are feeling okay this morning. I?m so sorry for what?s happened. Agree with other posters that it might be good to call Seldoc. As for the police, I hope they?re on the case now. If not, I wouldn?t hesitate to call back and hurry them along.

Thank you, yes I have spoken to a SELDOC who advised me to call police back so forensics can document the bruising on my neck and nail marks.. I?ve called the police 4 times now and they are sending an officer around on Monday. This guy came out of nowhere and tried to strangle which with considerable force in font of my son. He didn?t even speak to me he just started strangling me in the street. Does anyone know how I contact the safer neighbourhoods team - it?s the Dulwich Hill one I think.

Given this was in broad daylight, the hope is one of the houses nearby has CCTV that might reveal an ID for this man? It is hoped the police or SNT will knock on doors and ask if anyone that has CCTV on that street, or nearby, to check to see if there is footage on that day around that time to match the description?

The Met is the responsibility of the Home Secretary, which makes this a Parliamentary matter. I would write to Helen Hayes about this, to ask the Home Secretary a PQ. Helen Hayes is very responsive to constituents' concerns.

This was a physical attack and (as the medics said) evidence of the assault with be disappearing over time. If only the attacker had said something racist, sexist or homophobic it would be a hate crime, and they'd have been round like a shot.

Thank you everyone. What I?m struggling with in regards to the Police response is that he tried to strangle me quite violently and didn?t care I had a child with me. Strangling someone is a very specific and worrying form of violence and when I first called the Police I could still see him on Wood Vale causally carrying on walking

I agree with Penguin68 - contact Helen Hayes and mark it urgent: [email protected] - I've found her to be responsive to issues I have raised; yours being rather more pressing than mine.

Also, maybe get in touch with Inspector Tom Cornish | Neighbourhood Policing | Southwark | AS BCU | Peckham Police Station, 177 Peckham High Street, London, SE15 5SL tel: 0207 232 6495 | internal: 726495 mobile: 07917 133162 Twitter: @InspTomCornish

Although luckily my friend was able to escape and was no longer in imminent danger, the next person he strangles may not escape. It most certainly is a cause for concern that a man with a compulsion to strangle a woman walking in daylight with her child is not being sought by the police. It wasn?t an attempted mugging or a mobile phone theft, he tried to strangle her so forcefully that she has bruises on her neck and burst capillaries and fingernail marks, photographs of which should be being taken by the police but are not. It may be that he is on some substance that makes him have violent impulses, it may be that he has mental health issues or it may be that he has a sexual urge that impels him to strangle passers by but that will never be known if the police can?t be bothered to investigate. so we cannot say that the crime is not ongoing and the danger is ?finished? as we don?t know if or when he will violently attack someone again. So the police response is completely inadequate.

alice Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> With all the police cuts hard decisions have to be

> made. This crime, horrid tho it is, seems to have

> finished and the person was no longer in danger.

> An ongoing crime would take precedence.

This.

hellosailor Wrote:

> Although luckily my friend was able to escape and

> was no longer in imminent danger, the next person

> he strangles may not escape. It most certainly is

> a cause for concern that a man with a compulsion

> to strangle a woman walking in daylight with her

> child is not being sought by the police. It wasn?t

> an attempted mugging or a mobile phone theft, he

> tried to strangle her so forcefully that she has

> bruises on her neck and burst capillaries and

> fingernail marks, photographs of which should be

> being taken by the police but are not. It may be

> that he is on some substance that makes him have

> violent impulses, it may be that he has mental

> health issues or it may be that he has a sexual

> urge that impels him to strangle passers by but

> that will never be known if the police can?t be

> bothered to investigate. so we cannot say that the

> crime is not ongoing and the danger is ?finished?

> as we don?t know if or when he will violently

> attack someone again. So the police response is

> completely inadequate.

>

>

> alice Wrote:

> --------------------------------------------------

> -----

> > With all the police cuts hard decisions have to

> be

> > made. This crime, horrid tho it is, seems to

> have

> > finished and the person was no longer in

> danger.

> > An ongoing crime would take precedence.

I strongly disagree. There has been an upsurge of violence against women in recent months. A battery and attempted murder - strangulation - is extremely serious and, given that the offender carried out this attack in broad daylight it should be high priority not only for the impact on the family involved, but the risk of further escalation.

alice Wrote:

> With all the police cuts hard decisions have to be

> made. This crime, horrid tho it is, seems to have

> finished and the person was no longer in danger.

> An ongoing crime would take precedence.