Request a Bike Hangar on your Street

Why is it that on the cycle hangar commonplace map you can ask for a cycle hangar but as a resident on the same street you cannot object to it. Again, seems anyone can ask for hangars and state there is terrific demand without any proper analysis. Totally undemocratic.

first mate Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> Why is it that on the cycle hangar commonplace map

> you can ask for a cycle hangar but as a resident

> on the same street you cannot object to it. Again,

> seems anyone can ask for hangars and state there

> is terrific demand without any proper analysis.

> Totally undemocratic.

Completely agree.

bonaome Wrote:

> first mate Wrote:

> --------------------------------------------------

> -----

> > Why is it that on the cycle hangar commonplace

> map

> > you can ask for a cycle hangar but as a

> resident

> > on the same street you cannot object to it.

> Again,

> > seems anyone can ask for hangars and state

> there

> > is terrific demand without any proper analysis.

> > Totally undemocratic.

>

> Completely agree.

Bugs me too. Although it is only a site to register interest. It doesn't mean that's where it's all agreed. *shrugs

Not at all, it's simply a map to say lots of people in Road X are interested in a hanger, no-one in Road Y has registered any interest. It means that potential installation sites can be targeted rather than simply scattering them randomly around the place.

If you want to object to them, that comes at the Planning Permission stage.

I should say, when our street got one of the first bike hangars, most everyone was opposed in the beginning. The residents on our street were then asked individually by some sort of council process and enough said "oh okay". Now, everyone wants a spot in it (a waiting list) and I don't think it irks anyone anymore save one household.

exdulwicher Wrote:

> Not at all, it's simply a map to say lots of

> people in Road X are interested in a hanger,

> no-one in Road Y has registered any interest. It

> means that potential installation sites can be

> targeted rather than simply scattering them

> randomly around the place.

>

> If you want to object to them, that comes at the

> Planning Permission stage.

Which like the radio mast in Chadwick Road which was rejected by by a very large % the cllrs just used their vote to say yes regardless of the views of their residents who opposed.

Cllrs are not planning but will follow and vote for the party line leanings, as shown by the above.

Most residents never get to hear of any planning information.

Yes - our street was consulted on placement. I volunteered to have it in front of my house as I (and my adjacent neighbours)do not have a car. Those opposed had it relocated down the street in a place with no street lamps (making it tricky after dark). I think car owners can def steer these things to where they feel is best.

Otto2 Wrote:

> Yes - our street was consulted on placement. I

> volunteered to have it in front of my house as I

> (and my adjacent neighbours)do not have a car.

> Those opposed had it relocated down the street in

> a place with no street lamps (making it tricky

> after dark). I think car owners can def steer

> these things to where they feel is best.

How does that work in practise. Council suggest putting hangar in location Z. I?m happy with that but two neighbours send a note to the council to say they would prefer location A. I live next to A and the first I?d hear about it is when it?s agreed or do they keep updating it?!

It ended up a surprise move, but, it was not placed in front of anyone's house. It was approved in one spot and a few residents decided to contact the council and have it relocated. I think everyone hated the idea of a hangar at the time and I could not bear to be loathed so just went with the flow.

Hi all,

The demand for hangars in Goose Green is enormous. The waiting list is longer than the 2nd, 3rd and 4th highest ones combined. The council has recently put more funding into the project so hopefully we'll be able to speed things up. Next year there should be quite a few installed. Hopefully yours will be one of them!

Best wishes

James

Cllr McAsh, whilst we wait to see whether we get a hangar what is the council's policy towards cycle storage units in front gardens? I saw a report on the BBC that Islington were telling householders to remove Asgard (and other similar bike storage structures) from front gardens as such "out buildings" were not permitted beyond back gardens.

As someone who does not have a side return I have ordered an Asgard cycle storage unit for our small front garden. Does Southwark permit such units? The unit complies to all permitted development thresholds (but apparently so do the ones that councils like Islington seem to have a problem with when people out them into front gardens).

I've never come across this being a problem in Southwark. Planning regulations can vary and you can imagine there being issues in, for instance, a conservation area. But I would argue for a lenient approach given the need to encourage cycling.

Best wishes

James

jamesmcash Wrote:

> I've never come across this being a problem in

> Southwark. Planning regulations can vary and you

> can imagine there being issues in, for instance, a

> conservation area. But I would argue for a lenient

> approach given the need to encourage cycling.

>

> Best wishes

> James

James, good stuff.

Many thanks for your quick reply.

If you are allowed a dropped curb so you can park your car on the land in front of your house then I don't see why you cannot have a bike hangar- people also build structures for bins. All of these things look pretty ugly in my view, but there you go.

At the risk of reigniting SE22's street-based class war, I would hope that the council look at the make-up of each road to decide where best to place the hangars. Roads with predominantly single-occupancy need hangars less than those with flats, where inside space is at a premium. The road I used to live in was nearly all single-occupancy with front gardens and yet it received one of the first hangars. Daft and inequitable.

Does anyone know what the decision-making process is for the location of hangars? Some roads seem to have lots whilst others have none and like our road, not for a case of people not asking - all of our neighbours added their details to the council list years ago yet no hangars have been forthcoming yet a road around the corner has multiple hangars.