Low flying planes?

I realise that after all these lockdowns and some self quarantining that that world feels a little small... so I'm wondering if it's just my imagination and the fact that I've spent more time than ever at home..

Is it just me or do there seem to be a lot more flights, and regularly flying a lot lower (and therefore a lot louder) than there used to be? I never remember there being so much noise!

I think there were various flight path changes not long ago, but from what I remember they weren't going to massively impact East Dulwich..

I think the noise seems louder because we're so unused to it (at least I am!) after the near silence overhead for a long time last year, but I have been wondering if the planes coming overhead are flying lower. I was quite concerned about one in particular the other day.

This happened to me a couple of years ago, I convinced myself it wasn?t like this before but on checking data, there didn?t seem to have been much of a change. I think it was a case of once you notice something, you are just more aware of it all the time. It probably has increased relative to the most recent period but not compared to pre-COVID.

This is a subject that really brings out the anger in a lot of Forum members. I have every sympathy with you but you need to be aware that abuse is coming your way.

I work outdoors and I hear everything. Over the last couple weeks, I've not been able to hear sound at the normal level through my earbuds. It's not that the planes are louder (although they are more frequent than during lockdown). I think there's been some sort of atmospheric thing, low pressure or something. It's been the same with traffic. Even just one car driving slowly has been LOUD.

Cloud conditions often affect the noise levels, sometimes making it sound as though the aircraft are passing overhead in a continuous stream. As to the altitude this hasn't changed much. If you use the Flightradar 24 app it shows the altitude which, for Heathrow arrivals, is usually in the region of 4000 feet. (London City arrivals are more like 1500 feet, although there are few flights to LCY at present)