All Streets Matter ?????

Well I am a remainer and more left than the current labour leadership... and a supporter of Ext Rebellion/ BLM many other things, but this does prove that the NIMBYs and the LTN at any cost, view is rather off the mark when it tries to frame many anti-LTNers as right-wing petrol heads. Anyway.. aren't we all over this exhausting and pointless thread?

Metallic Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> What we need is better public transport and school

> street hours for the closures.

Absolutely. The car but not bus road closures are clearly ridiculous because they can't possibly improve journey times for buses on those routes. Also, frankly the permanent closures are annoying and inconvenient. Can you believe I now have to walk to the park? I think it would be much more fair to open the roads during the day so I can take all those short, local journeys by car like a disadvantaged person rather than walk or cycle like a rich person with lots of SUVs. Keeping Dulwich Roads for Dulwich People is much more fair.

Rockets Wrote:

> The bottom line is that lots of posters are

> appearing all over Dulwich and it is a very visual

> reminder that it is, much to the annoyance of

> some, anything but a small vocal minority who

> oppose these measures. The council ought to be

> taking note......

Indeed they should. It's obvious to me and Rockets (and probably Metallic and ab29) the anti LTNs are in the huge majority: people posting signs at street level clearly represents the will of the people, so that's what we should follow. There's obviously no support for LTNs except from cyclists but I don't like them so they don't count.

I do delivery driving early hours of the morning around Camden finchley kilburn and the LTNS there are ridiculous they are blocking roads that make no sense at all in blocking.. one road in Camden to get into it there are 3 entry points 2 are blocked and the only way to get into it is a near 10 min round trip and it leads to nowhere it's a joke.. st John's wood and maida vale where I deliver aswell not one single LTN why is that ??

Surely LTNS are causing more congestion and toxic fumes and causing more damage than good .. they are a bad idea and need to go as they are causing havoc with buisness from lordship lane roundabout to the train station .. I wouldn't like to live in one of those streets and have one end blocked off and have to drive a long way round just to get into my own street.. some people that live in those streets may like it but do they forgot they are driving their polluted cars down other peoples streets but that's ok to do that as long as it's not their street.. the amount of traffic up and down my road ( Barry road ) is mad sometimes but I wouldn't want LTNS at one end of the road or I would be a hypocrite as I would still be driving down other peoples roads ...

People often compare London to European cities (Paris, Amsterdam ...) In order to say they're doing it (making provisions for cycling), why can't we.

What's different is that during and as a result of ww2, large parts of European cities were knocked down and rebuilt with a lot of wider streets whereas London retained the narrow street infrastructure we see today.

It's obviously easier to install cycle lanes that work with other traffic if the streets are wider.

Spartacus Wrote:

> People often compare London to European cities

> (Paris, Amsterdam ...) In order to say they're

> doing it (making provisions for cycling), why

> can't we.

>

> What's different is that during and as a result of

> ww2, large parts of European cities were knocked

> down and rebuilt with a lot of wider streets

> whereas London retained the narrow street

> infrastructure we see today.

>

> It's obviously easier to install cycle lanes that

> work with other traffic if the streets are wider.

Paris is proposing to close a large central area to most traffic (about the size of the area contained within the circle line in London). It's nothing to do with road layout.