Rats on Cox?s walk

I have run locally for years and I have never seen rats like this year. I now see them most times I go up Cox's Walk and I saw a big one last week on College Road outside DUCKS. Other runners I speak to have also noticed a big increase this spring.

There are definitely more rats this year.

Countrlass22 Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> Rats are not

> wildlife

Sorry, but rats and rodents most definitely are wildlife, and provide food for certain predators like hawks. The problem is that they can become a pest if they overpopulate, and food supply is the main driver of that.

Yes, I am pleased not to have seen litter there, at least when I was there last a few weeks ago. This is not the case in most of the streets off LL and FH Road, unfortunately. Much has to be from schoolchildren going to and from school (but at least they're not in cars!) as there are a lot of energy drink/Lucozade/milkshake cans and bottles. Luckily, there are good litter pickers, both those employed by the council and volunteers.

Countrlass22 Wrote:

> Sorry no they absolutely are not wildlife there

> vermin they carry discease hence we have such

> thing as immediate council response teams rather

> control.

>

>

> U need learn whats actually wildlife and whats a

> pest carrying discease lol

Any wild animal is wildlife. That includes rats and other rodents. Bats carry more diseases than any other living animal by the way. Are you going to argue they are not wildlife too? And what about humans? They carry and transmit disease all over the place, and it could be argued are the biggest pest on the planet. Bacteria on the other hand, doesn't even need a living host to spread.

But back to rats. I grew up on a farm, so know very well at what point wildlife becomes a pest. Why do you think rodents exist? Birds of prey, weasels, snakes, all feed on rodents. Rats in turn, are scavengers. They also spread seeds in woodland, stores they hoard and forget about. This helps new forest undergrowth to sprout. So you see, they do actually serve a purpose in the ecosystem. Wildlife becomes a pest when it over populates and disrupts that ecosystem. That is as true for insects that destroy crops, as it is for rodents that sometimes spread disease.

All that any pest control can do, is regulate the numbers. The most effective way to keep the rodent population in check, is for people to not leave easily accessible food and garbage for them to eat. Towns and cities are very attractive spaces for rodents for that reason. But any idea that all rats should be exterminated as pests, is ignorant. And woodland is in fact, the one place you want to see them, for the reason I cite above.

You are never more than aabout 10 ft from a rat in london.

The Council will only deal with them for free if you are incouncil propert. When living in owned house I thought that we had one under the kitchen floor, wan a sizeable payment, and it was a 3 week wait, this was las November.

rahrahrah Wrote:

> jazzer Wrote:

> --------------------------------------------------

> -----

> > bit of a trek from ED station too cox's walk

> even

> > for a rat!!

>

> They can get a bus up Lordship Lane

Don't be silly, there's no way a rat would be able to get on a bus. How would they get credit on their Oyster cards?