100 hour pharmacy planning application CPR

Pugwash Wrote:

------------------------------------------------------

Unfortunately all the pharmacists who turned up at the first applications' meeting all those years ago, did not keep to their promise of providing a rota of late night pharmacys in Dulwich and Nunhead - so this is where the DMC has the advantage.

Couldn't agree with this more. The last application was turned down in part based on some very clear and public representations from local pharmacists that they would do more to support the community (inc. people like me who work long/odd hours and can't always leave home after 9am or be back before 6pm to pick up a prescription). I'm pretty furious that they did a grant total of f*all once the application was turned down.

Basically the Drs at the DMC are wanting a quick buck.

GP practices are (always have been) privately run businesses - making money from being a dispensing pharmacy is no more a 'quick buck' for them as for any High Street chemist. They appear to have made a perfectly sound business strategic decision to vertically integrate their pharmacy business whilst expanding horizontally at their CPR site by offering both health and dispensing services. They also appear to be willing to offer an out-of-hours service which their local competitors have signally failed to do (although the Pharmacist at Sainbury's in DKH is open almost as long as that shop itself).

Attacking a commercial proposal because it might make money for its owners appears perverse.

I agree with Otta. This is blatant NIMBYism - measures that address the issue of drug miss-use are needed, as long as they do not happen in our streets.

The portacabin idea is not good, it will look tatty. If DMC are genuinely committed to this, a brick built building would look more professional would be more secure, I suspect.

James Barber, please do not use the Forum to promote your consistent rabble rousing NIMBY sentiment.

People may call me a nimby, but I am very concerned about the proposal

I live opposite where the pharmacy would be

I'm a young woman and because I work shifts I'm often walking along the road at night around 10pm in the dark - a needle exchange (which is part of the proposals) worries me

I understand people need these facilities, but of it was offered at a pharmacy on a main road which is well lit, that strikes me as being very different from a quiet residential street, when of you are walking home in the evening nobody else is around.

sedm Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

>> I live opposite where the pharmacy would be

> I'm a young woman and because I work shifts I'm

> often walking along the road at night around 10pm

> in the dark - a needle exchange (which is part of

> the proposals) worries me

xxxxxxx

And your image of the typical user of a needle exchange is - what, exactly?

Somebody who is likely to cause you fear, or worse, when you're walking along the road around 10pm in the dark?

Because ..... ???

I can't believe we're debating this on this forum yet again.

sedm Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> People may call me a nimby, but I am very

> concerned about the proposal

> I live opposite where the pharmacy would be

> I'm a young woman and because I work shifts I'm

> often walking along the road at night around 10pm

> in the dark - a needle exchange (which is part of

> the proposals) worries me

> I understand people need these facilities, but of

> it was offered at a pharmacy on a main road which

> is well lit, that strikes me as being very

> different from a quiet residential street, when of

> you are walking home in the evening nobody else is

> around.

Yeah, damn those responsible drug addicts keeping themselves safe!

I understand being afraid, as a woman in general in the dark (I'm a woman, we do and will always have the of someone harrassing us) but this should actually reduce that risk, not increase it. You are covered on all sides, there are loads of houses at ground level, not empty midnight shops, and people using a needle exchange are likely to be very responsible.

That aside, tons of people would benefit from an open night pharmacy who aren't those, "dangerous" people you're worrying about.

ED is full of utter snobs. I'm not aiming it at you, or even this forum, but it's so depressing. All this talk of localism, local shops, mother and baby groups, grossly inflated rent prices, but no responsibility or care for people who aren't middle class, organic chicken buyers, who are part of your community, too. Some of the crap I've seen on this forum about Peckham makes me wonder if some people in ED would rather people move out for the benefit of the middle classes.

I think you've lapsed into TV caricatures there brain_opera?

There may well be people as you describe in both ED and the forum, but they aren't on this thread.

Amingst those rejecting the proposal on this thread there's a couple of chaps that I'll loosely describe as traditional conservatives who believe in individual responsibility and social discipline. Their chief motivation will be in protecting their community against encroaching moral relativism and the collapse of society.

Then there's one or two people who are genuinely anxious about the safety aspects of having strangers in poorly lit residential areas late at night.

I can't see any middle class snobs matching your description.