100 hour pharmacy planning application CPR

The Dulwich Medical Centre has made formal planning applications to open a temporary pharmacy in a portakabin and permanent changes to its building for a permanent pharmacy.

This would match the health authority to open a 100 hour pharmacy and from memory needle exchange.

The two applications are:

12-AP-3008 - http://planningonline.southwark.gov.uk/AcolNetCGI.exe?ACTION=UNWRAP&RIPNAME=Root.PgeResultDetail&TheSystemkey=9547882

12-AP-3010 - http://planningonline.southwark.gov.uk/AcolNetCGI.exe?ACTION=UNWRAP&RIPNAME=Root.PgeResultDetail&TheSystemkey=9547884

East Dulwich councillors will be applying for this decision to be made by planning committee and not be granted by council planning officials.

We think open a 100 hour retail pharmacy on such a residential street - taking deliveries, customers - isnt appropriate for such a residential street. If the surgery was on a commercial street it would make sense but not on Crystal Palace Street.

But whether you are for or against these planning permissions please tell council officials via:

[email protected] and copy me [email protected]

Hi Penguin68,

That's a good point. I would suggest you highlight this to the planning officers.

Hi david_carnell,

No. Having a needle exchange open 100 hours a week is a bit different to the pubs on CPR.

Equally te people living near the two pubs chose ot move there. No one living near thi proposed pharmacy chose to live near a need led change pharmacy.

Wouldn't the majority of people using the service be coming in from further afield rather than being local? And it is not exactly on a bus route (except the P13 I suppose)

I was told that the residents of Court Lane got the P4 route diverted because there was a significant increase in burglaries after it was introduced into Court Lane- is there any truth in that does any one know?

Hi Michael,

Social good?

The lead pharmacist for SE London area said needled exchanges should be in hospitals.

East Dulwich area has numerous pharmacies already.

Preserving residential areas peace and tranquility, considering the above, maximises the social good in these circumstances.

uncleglen Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

We are far too lax over the

> drugs problem in this country- Bali seems to have

> the right idea

xxxxxx

Charming.

It's all as simple as that, then.

Does the lead pharmacist of S E London use a needle exchange? If not I would suggest his preference for where they are placed is irrelevant.

It would seem that people up in arms about this have little idea what a needle exchange is, or it's purpose. I suggest you go and find out before trying to make it sound like a hang out for drug users.

Sickening!

This was blocked previously by people whipping up hysteria and saying it would adversely affect the chemist on North Cross Road. In fact I think the Chemist was one of the main protesters. Then, when the planning application was refused, the chemist promptly sold up to Lloyds.

I would like a 100 hour pharmacy at DMC as its my doctors, I have repeat prescriptions and work long hours.

The needle exchange is nothing I am concerned with, having lived near to a chemist that offered this service before moving to ED and having had no problems.

Knowing the NIMBY, vocal minority of ED though, I imagine this will be blocked again.

The issue I raised is about the use of a portakabin, not about any permanent and secure building.

ED and adjacent bits of SE London are full of little shopping and associated enclaves (often only 3/4 units) surrounded by residential areas - it's part of its charm. Clearly this proposal is about making money, rather than offering a social amenity, but what's wrong about that? 'High Street' chemists offer much more than the dispensing of ethical pharmaceuticals, which is what I suspect this will mainly be targeted at - the more competition in ED the better as regards service and range improvement to attract and retain customers.

The application(s) do not mention a needle exchange - Mr Barber is 'remembering' this from a previous application.

It seems the applicants have presented 2 options. One plan is to house the pharmacy in the existing building, behind the reception desk, with a portacabin out the back to house the displaced admin staff. The other is to have the pharmacy in a portacabin in the car park at the front of the building.

Personally I'd rather the DMC focussed on improving their core service.

Hi david_carnell,

The planning applications are to enable the Dulwich Medical Centre to use the pharmacy licence theyve already obtained. My understnading is that the pharmacy licence includes the needle exchange.

In planning terms planning applications dont have to be that specific. But the outcome of obtaining planning permission would result in this.

On that basis I don't think your suggestion is necessary. But thank you for asking.

James Barber Wrote:

> We think open a 100 hour retail pharmacy on such a residential street - taking deliveries, customers - isnt appropriate for such a residential street. If the surgery was on a commercial street it would make sense but not on Crystal Palace Street.

Who is "We"?

This is where I think you abuse your position as councillor James, at times you use the position to push your own NIMBY views, and it's not appropriate. And I think you do good work, but this is something that bugs me about your use of this forum.

You should have 2 totally separate log ins IMO. James Barber the resident who has his own personal views on things, and James Barber the Councillor, who represents public interest.

With regards the application, I would agree with Penguin68 that a portakabin pharmacy sounds like a pretty bad idea. However, I would fully support having a pharmacy once building work is complete. Realistically do you really think a load of drug addicts are going to take to Crystal Palace Road at 3am every morning like Zombies from an apocalyptic film?

1. What are you objecting too Councillor:

- A late night pharmarcy (regardless of the service it provides)?

- Use of a portakabin?

2. I find it very hard to believe that a pharmacy will be getting deliveries, at a time you are alluding too.

3 Surely a pharmacy opening for longer, regardless of a needle exchange, is a good thing?

4. Where do you think we should locate `extended hours needle exchange places`?

- Hospitals, are not the only answer, with more of them closing or having reduced services, is it not a risk?

- We could hide the problem and put it in 'less desirable surronding places' maybe? Howabout another ward?

5. As an elected Councillor for East Dulwich, are you protecting the interests of all local residents or just the ones that live on the road?

- Is the 'We' you mentioned, the local Lib Dem party? Is this policy?

6. Otta has dissected the absurdity of this whole thread, perfectly.

7. Are there any local 100 hour pharmacies?

Another planning application was submitted on 17 dec 2012 for the dmc on Chadwick Road for the same thing.

As a surrounding local resident I would have thought consultation letters would have been sent. I have not seen one

Any premises dispensing drugs till late would be concern to residents.

Strange that no local chemists want to remain open this late to supply. Why? what people will be turning up at 10.00 at night?

Oh, I don't richard, mainly junkies I reckon. Them and murderers.

Or perhaps people on shift work, those who have jobs that finish late, parents of young children who need emergency medicine, someone needing contraception or any other over-the-counter product at short notice......just the people who use a chemist the rest of the time but could do with it being open a bit later.

If you have ever used the Out of Hours Service via SELDOC and need an urgent prescription - you have to travel to Streatham as the nearest all hours pharmacy.

It was suggested at the last time this application came up that it made more sense to have a night time pharmacy based in Dulwich Hospital. Ther would be security already on site, people would not have so far to travel, had plenty of parking space. This was agreed to be a good idea by the then NHS Southwark. It would have been run by a private organisation not NHS.

Basically the Drs at the DMC are wanting a quick buck. Reseach by the 2 residents associations (BARA and Crystal Palace Rd RA) found that the Drs at DMC were directors of a pharmacutical company based in Beddington Lane Croydon,

Any money for precriptions received by NHS will eventually flow back to their own pockets. At the last application - the residents' associations legal expert also traced GPs and their spouses as directors to other medical supplies firms all over London (using company house details).

DMC are not providing a 100 pharmacy entirely out of their concerns for the local community - it is a money making scheme. Unfortunately all the pharmacists who turned up at the first applications' meeting all those years ago, did not

keep to their promise of providing a rota of late night pharmacys in Dulwich and Nunhead - so this is where the DMC has the advantage.

edhistory Wrote:

> > James Barber the resident

>

> ?

>

> John K

I admit I was making a presumption there, but previous posts of James' have led me to believe that he is a local resident. I could be wrong. If I am wrong, then he still shouldn't be taking it upon himself to object to things on behalf of residents without their support.