East Dulwich - 1786 (Map)

edhistory

From Cary's road atlaa.

Among the interesting features:

a] What is now Barry Road is shown as continuous.

b] The dotted line shows our southern border (although at a larger scale it is less smooth). As it is shown as a map feature, what Lewisham Council now call "The Horniman Triangle" can be seen to be in Camberwell/Surrey.

c] And, only for those with eyes that wish to see, this is yet another old map that shows the location of Peckham Rye.

John K

vxo ubdary w

The village "stocks" and "cage," with the motto, "It is a sport for a fool to do mischief;thine own wickedness shall correct thee," formerlys tood at the corner of the pathway across the fields leading to Camberwell, opposite the burial-ground;and the college "pound," which formerly stood near the toll-gate in the Penge Road, was, in 1862,ordered to be removed to the end of Croxted Lane.One of the most interesting spots within the hamletis that formerly known as Bew's Corner, LordshipLane. The "Green Man," a tavern of some note in the middle of the last century, formerly occupied the site, after which time Dr. Glennie's school was built; and that in its turn having disappeared, a beer-house was opened there, by a man namedBew, formerly employed at the college, who madeuse of some out-buildings of the once famous school, and converted the grounds into a tea garden.

The famous Dulwich Wells were in close proximity to the "Green Man," and the Dulwich waters were cried about the streets of London as far backas 1678; and for many years, through the high repute of the waters, much custom was drawn to the adjoining tavern, which, in 1748, was described as a "noted house of good entertainment." The proprietor flourished so well, that a publication of the time tells us that "he has lately built a handsome room on one end of his bowling-green for breakfasts, dancing, and entertainment; a part of the fashionable luxury of the present age, which every village for ten miles round London hassomething of." A full account of the Dulwich mineral waters was communicated to the public through the "Philosophical Transactions," by Professor Martyn, F.R.S. Mr. Bray, in his accountof this parish in his "History of Surrey," writes:?"In the autumn of 1739, Mr. Cox, master of the"Green Man," about a mile south of the village of Dulwich, having occasion to sink a well for his family, dug down about sixty feet without finding water. Discouraged at this, he covered it up, and so left it. In the following spring, however, he opened it again; when, the Botanical Professor in the University of Cambridge being present, it wasfound to contain about twenty-five feet of water, ofa sulphureous taste and smell." It was found by experiment to be possessed of purgative qualities,and was for some time used medicinally, but was afterwards neglected.

From: 'Peckham and Dulwich', Old and New London: Volume 6 (1878), pp. 286-303. URL: http://www.british-history.ac.uk/report.aspx?compid=45282 Date accessed: 24 January 2013.

At the junction of Dulwich Common and Lordship Lane still exists the pathway called Cox's Walk. after Mr. Cox, master of the"Green Man,"