Thameslink Wimbledon Loop services saved

The Government have decided to keep the through service on the Wimbledon loop which runs via Tulse Hill and Loughborough Junction. This could have implications for the through service via Denmark Hill from 2018 which is proposed to only have 2tph to Sevenoaks as now.

http://www.londontravelwatch.org.uk/news/2013/1/passenger_watchdog_welcomes_government_s_decision_to_reverse_plans_to_end_wimbledon_loop_services_in

LondonMix Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> So Denmark Hill and Peckham Rye would lose service

> to Thameslink (instead stopping at Blackfriars)

> but regain service to Victoria in 2018? Can you

> elaborate as its not clearly detailed on the link?

The original plan was for four services per hour through DH and PR. As the Loop has been saved, we lose two of those slots to them in the Thameslink Core section. However those two paths can still be used for a direct service to Victoria instead via Bellingham calling at the SLL stations along the route except for Battersea Park. (QRP and South Bermondsey passengers would still have to change at PR regardless).

My understanding is the existing 2tph would continue as now through the core section. (Blackfriars to Kentish Town)

>> I dont think Herne Hill, Loughborough Junction or Tulse Hill are more affluent suburbs.

I think that SW London is generally more affluent than SE, and their train/tube offering is superior on the whole despite the new much-needed Overground extension.

I guess Boris has more mates in Wandsworth, and that can go a long way...

That's a good outcome. There would be no reduction in service but instead of increasing service to City Thameslink, connections to Victoria would be restored to close to their 2012 levels. Bic, what's your stance on this? Do you support this outcome or would you think the area would benefit more from enhanced City Thameslink connections?

Bic Basher Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> LondonMix Wrote:

> --------------------------------------------------

> -----

> > So Denmark Hill and Peckham Rye would lose

> service

> > to Thameslink (instead stopping at Blackfriars)

> > but regain service to Victoria in 2018? Can

> you

> > elaborate as its not clearly detailed on the

> link?

>

> The original plan was for four services per hour

> through DH and PR. As the Loop has been saved, we

> lose two of those slots to them in the Thameslink

> Core section. However those two paths can still

> be used for a direct service to Victoria instead

> via Bellingham calling at the SLL stations along

> the route except for Battersea Park. (QRP and

> South Bermondsey passengers would still have to

> change at PR regardless).

>

> My understanding is the existing 2tph would

> continue as now through the core section.

> (Blackfriars to Kentish Town)

I am waiting for clarification from DFT as to what is happening on the Sevenoaks (Kentish Town)and the Orpington Lines (Bedford). Currently there are 2TPH on the Sevenoaks Line and about 2TPH on the Orpington Line in peak time only. Reading the not very clear press releases, it is implied that the Sevenoaks trains would continue through London (I've asked for confirmation), but there is no mention of the Orpington Service. I only take these trains occasionally, but I know between 7 and 10am northbound and 4 to 7pm Southbound, they are sardine cans. This is with the extra trains, so they are essential to this route.

Renata

Hi, to inform you that the Wimbledon lobby had years to build up support for this, as the Wimbledon service was earmarked to be cut due to the platform layouts. DFT have been useless at responding. We only knew that there was possbly a threat to the Sevenoaks/Orpington service last summer.

The Sevenoaks/Orpington service is struggling at peak times, even with extra trains at these times. I have been made aware of issues at Peckham Rye during rush hour. Peckham Rye is basically now a hub station so there are more people getting on the Thameslink trains than before. It has been reported to me that some mornings, not everyone can physically fit on the 8am train. I don't think this was considered, not just people using the overground service or increased numbers on the Dartford to Victoria service, but more people using the Thameslink services.

Renata