Blue Cafe pavement

I can see the OP's point but I do feel there are other businesses doing just the same and it's been a really tough year for these independents. I imagine they'll have to close again due to overheads if they reduce number of tables outside. I am a buggy pusher and don't usually find it a problem along that road as not a busy road and I can always cross over. But know just my experience. I also love the food at this cafe and just want to flag that it's DELICIOUS

redjam Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> nxjen Wrote:

> --------------------------------------------------

> -----

> > Come off it, while people in their sixties are

> > certainly older, you know full well that

> Garages

> > was referring to an older and possibly less

> mobile

> > demographic. People in their sixties are spring

> > chickens!

>

> Don't really understand the 'less mobile'

> argument. You're either mobile enough to travel

> along a pavement or you're not. If you are, then

> surely you can just walk on the other side of the

> road? The tables are not blocking both pavements.

> It's a quiet residential side street so not

> difficult to walk on the other side.

I am sure many people will help this cafe but the entitlement of some on this forum is summed up by the above.

But then that is ED.

sorry but I dont see what 'entitlement' has to do with the post you've quoted?

It IS a quiet residential side street.

And when open Blue Brick just opens Weds-Sunday (or maybe thurs Sunday?) It doesn't trade at night has been there years and doesn't charge stupid prices either.

rupert james Wrote:

>

> I am sure many people will help this cafe but the

> entitlement of some on this forum is summed up by

> the above.

>

> But then that is ED.

Seeing as that post seems to be aimed at me may I respectfully disagree?

I don't think it's entitled to want to support a small independent business in what has clearly been a difficult time for them.

As other posters have suggested, the first port of call in a situation like this should always be a quiet word with the owner, who seems like a nice chap from what others have told me (I don't know him personally), rather than going in all guns blazing with an official complaint to the council and a slagging-off on a public forum.

As for mobility issues, I do have every sympathy. But it is a road with two pavements. If you have mobility issues you'd be better off using the other side of the road anyway, as it has no side roads running off it (the other has three lots of dropped kerbs to navigate). And even in the incident described in the OP, it sounds like the the dog and chairs were moved out the way when requested. Complaining to the council over having to wait for a minute for a couple of chairs to be moved out the way seems a wildly disproportionate response.

My last reply to some on this Tread.

Have a nice meal at the Blue Brick Cafe.

Stick your feet out, put your bike up by the edge of the pavement,

leave you pushchair sticking out and watch pedestrians cross the road.

It just shows what society has got to, self self self.

ENJOY YOUR MEAL OR MEALS. sorry i forgot to tell you, I'm a 68 year old vegetarian

and have been for 60 years

Gaby, I agree with you about bins. Some houses have to house their bins on the pavement due to the design (stairs leading to the front door, etc.) but others don't. It is so lazy and renders parts of the street impassable for some people with a disability, with children/prams, etc. Also, they really do make the place look untidy - ironic, seeing as they are rubbish bins!

Local councillors do very little to enforce the rules, likewise with overhanging branches (which also can make life harder for the blind, those with limited mobility and pretty much anyone who doesn't like getting whacked in the face with a twig or three), because they don't like doing the "bad cop" kind of politicking (even though it would be popular with the majority of would-be voters who don't let things go).

I know that it may seem trite, even petty, to some but everybody deserves to be able to walk/wheel down a street without having to turn back, go into the road or get thwacked by privet (worse when wet) and if that means a local "leader" or two has to get down to brass tacks with a very small number of people, so be it.

As for relevance to the cafe, as stated in my previous post, it is a great asset and any problem can be solved by talking to the owner/manager in the short term and, in the longer term, by asking the council to build out the pavement. In the meantime, could a table or two be put on the road where there is a DYL, meaning there woudl be full width on at least part of the footpath as a passing place? I have eaten often outside there and have never seen a situation where nobody could pass, though I agree that a diner ought to be always aware of that possibility.

I have a vague memory from previous posts some time ago that in order for a cafe/shop to have tables/chairs outside for customers, they must have a licence and pay for the number of tables etc. This was a couple of years ago and related to a query concerning Franklins.

I again reiterate - give these guys a break - they have about 6 tables outside on a very quiet street - I cycled past yesterday and there was nothing untoward about the layout. I for one love seeing all the chairs and tables outside where ever possible - franklins have been really creative (and safe) as has number 57 on northcross road. I wish all these businesses nothing but the best and I am pretty sure they are all doing their absolute utmost not to antagonise anyone in order to keep their businesses going.

I would suggest that if you or a member of your household are a wheelchair user and this is actively preventing you from getting around, then you need to have a word with the owner.

Otherwise - just try to put up with it until they can serve customers indoors again, and then reevaluate the situation.

Gah what a demoralising little thread this is at the end of the year we (& that lovely little cafe and all others like it) have had and thank the lord for those of you who chipped up and agree. little cafes like this one and little tables outdoors (for the paltry few weeks of the looong year that's actually possible in UK weather) are what make ED ED.

Please redirect all this energy to causes worthy of such indignation.

There is room for both concern about a potential hazard, especially for the elderly or disabled, and support for a local institution that is much-frequented and supportive of the wider community. So yes, hooray for small businesses like this and, at the same time, hooray for making all of our area as passable and pleasant as possible. See - a smile and a good word for everyone!

Nice to walk passed Blue Brick Cafe on Saturday. But a man with a dog had to make a point and put a s/steel bowl with water in the middle of the pavement to make a roundabout and the dog was asleep under the chair.

As for Smooch. Hope you was in the road, as its against the law to cycle on the pavement

where did it say I cycled on the pavement?

as a cyclist I do not use the pavement

I would also add that I always stop at red lights and make a point of bellowing, in an angry middle aged manner, at those cyclists who do not think a red traffic light is anything to do with them.

yes that means you, dulwich dad with your two lads on bikes who decided to jump the red light at the junction of dulwich village and turney road in the afternoon last week. Should add the boys were mortificed, but Dad wasn't

lucerne Wrote:

> Gah what a demoralising little thread this is at

> the end of the year we (& that lovely little cafe

> and all others like it) have had and thank the

> lord for those of you who chipped up and agree.

> little cafes like this one and little tables

> outdoors (for the paltry few weeks of the looong

> year that's actually possible in UK weather) are

> what make ED ED.

>

> Please redirect all this energy to causes worthy

> of such indignation.

What Lucerne said