How close did the WW2 doodlebugs come to your house?

Just found this website, don't think it's ever been posted on the Forum before. It lists the V1 and V2 rockets that landed in the area giving the location, date and the number killed. The Co-op bombing on 5th August 1944 was the most shocking, 23 killed, including the mother of one of my neighbours.

Doodlebugs on East Dulwich

A V1 or V2 landed on Playfield Crescent/Lycott Grove, completely wiping out the latter, but I don't see this in the list.

yes true. still interesting tho. I see there a new book out about Zep raids too. Wonder if we had much activity of that here.

just one thing. These v1/v2's so frikkin scary for people at the time. So its good to see "This V1 was reported by the fire brigade, somewhere in the East Dulwich Road, it is noted that the only damage was the destruction of public toilets. The exact location is not noted" phew!

I just searched he getty site for "dulwich" and it threw up some fabulous images. In particular, and pertinent to the ongoing EDF great buggy debate (ie they're much bigger than they used to be), there is a fantastic picture of voters in the 1920's queuing up with their ENORMOUS prams. I also noticed Keith Richards' happy-new-baby snap outside King's College Hospital and a slightly odd shot of a group of naked Dulwich COllege boys being hosed down by a master ...

bawdy-nan Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> and a slightly odd

> shot of a group of naked Dulwich COllege boys

> being hosed down by a master ...

Nothing wrong with that. JUST what the youth of today needs, a damn good hosing down every now and again...

Not sure if 'ordinary' bombs / ordnance count on this thread but..... I understand the hairdressing suppliers site on Crystal Palace Rd (few yards South of CPT) was hit by bomb(s) in the war, demolishing those houses and causing extensive damage to the 3-storey terraced houses in the block opposite.

I hear the top floor of that row of terraces (the ones which face the premises directly) were rebuilt as a result, which is why the skyline goes from straight-rendered parapet to up-down zigzag style (following the roofline) about halfway along the terrace.

jimbo1964 Wrote:

> I recently found out that my childhood home was

> built on the site of a V2 explosion (60's house at

> the top of Friern Road).

I recently found out that my current home is built on the site of a V2 explosion (60's house at the top of Friern Road).

bastards. Its good to knowe that theh cold blooded scientist fiend who invented these death rockets got what what was coming to him at the Nuermberg trials..Im sure Winston would have made the fellow pay for the problems he caused in SE London

oh, hang on a minute...

• 6 months later...

Well actually it wasnt a V1 or V2 that hit Lycott Grove. This Road and the surrounding ones (particulary Melbourne Grove) where devasted by a single parachute mine that fell on 17th January 1943. This was a dropped from an aircraft at the begining of what is known as the Baby Blitz which was a period of re-intensified bombing that lasted from January to March 1943. This wasnt as bad as the main 1940-41 Blitz but bad enough as it killed over 1000 people in London. The Lycott Grove Parachute mine killed 10 people...The first V1 did not strike until June 1944

Hope this is of interest

BTW I am the guy who wrote the www.Flyingbombsandrockets.com web site refered to on this thread

KidKruger Wrote:

> Not sure if 'ordinary' bombs / ordnance count on

> this thread but..... I understand the hairdressing

> suppliers site on Crystal Palace Rd (few yards

> South of CPT) was hit by bomb(s) in the war,

> demolishing those houses and causing extensive

> damage to the 3-storey terraced houses in the

> block opposite.

> I hear the top floor of that row of terraces (the

> ones which face the premises directly) were

> rebuilt as a result, which is why the skyline goes

> from straight-rendered parapet to up-down zigzag

> style (following the roofline) about halfway along

> the terrace.

I wonder if this is why my flat seems kind of wonky - I swear there isn't an even floor or wall in the place, and I don't just mean a little out - like an inch out from door hinge to other side of door.