Watch out parcel thief!

Several residents have had parcels stolen from their doorsteps...many have posted on the Nextdoor app with similar descriptions. Today I recognised the same person in Mundania Rd, checking out doorsteps in search of parcels. He's been caught opening them with a stanley knife and stealing contents. He was riding around Therapia, Forest Hill Rd and Scutari....he is white, around 50, very thin with dark straggly hair. Today he was wearing dark clothing with a blue rucksack and was riding a red Santander bike. There has also been a sighting of him on a yellow bike. Please be careful with parcel deliveries...

> That's a decent description FFF.

Inded. If I spotted him with one of the bikes and acting suspiciously, I think I'd be inclined to make it a 999 call (mentioning the previous reports), on the basis that there's a well-founded suspicion plus a high likelihood of incriminating evidence -- at least the Stanley knife, hopefully more -- being available.

[ETA] On reflection, I do remember even a 101 call resulting in an immediate response to a report of an offence in progree, and arrest.

A few weeks ago, my downstairs neighbour had several amazon parcels delivered in 1 week.

This neighbour was absent, and didn't consider the security angle of attracting parcel thieves, or

burglars to an unattended property....which could have included my flat above.

I received no thanks for bringing the parcels into the communal hallway.

Unbelievably ignorant and rude.

I hammer Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> A few weeks ago, my downstairs neighbour had

> several amazon parcels delivered in 1 week.

> This neighbour was absent, and didn't consider the

> security angle of attracting parcel thieves, or

> burglars to an unattended property....which could

> have included my flat above.

> I received no thanks for bringing the parcels into

> the communal hallway.

> Unbelievably ignorant and rude.

Surely the delivery driver is supposed to wait and make sure the parcels are collected, and if they aren't to try a neighbour/leave a card to say they've done that, or take them away again to redeliver?

Were they just left outside? In that case, I would complain to Amazon.

They were left outside... And could have been from any source.(Amazon was a generic term for online deliveries).

I don't think the delivery people really care.... As my doorbell frequently rings for the wrong house no. address.

.. Including Deliveroo. (generic term again).

One night I might accept the food and tuck in.

Leaving parcels outside is now par for the course. Why? Because delivery drivers have an insane amount of parcels to deliver. All delivery companies employ freelance van owners. If someone is driving a branded van, they are literally renting it from their employer. The last parcel we had delivered was from a driver that had 194 parcels to deliver that day. He was only halfway through when he got to us at 3 in the afternoon. Goodness knows what time his day would finish. That is the cost of cheap postage sadly.

I hammer Wrote:

> A few weeks ago, my downstairs neighbour had

> several amazon parcels delivered in 1 week.

> This neighbour was absent, and didn't consider the

> security angle of attracting parcel thieves, or

> burglars to an unattended property....which could

> have included my flat above.

> I received no thanks for bringing the parcels into

> the communal hallway.

> Unbelievably ignorant and rude.

Surely this is what we should just do? Sorry I Hammer, but though it is nice to get a nod of thanks, it shouldn't be obligatory or stop you from being neighbourly if no thanks are given. And it should certainly not make you resort to theft ("One night I might accept the food and tuck in"). In big cities, it is common to feel shy, even of close neighbours. I bet they were really chuffed you looked out for them. On their behalf, thank you!. And I would hope to have you as a next-door look out for me too. Anyway, good on you for doing the good thing.

• 3 weeks later...

lameduck Wrote:

> what should we do if we see him

> loitering around our roads.

> do we challenge him

> I would feel tempted to.

> if you call police

> by the time they arrive he could have pedaled to

> brighton

Right, I suggest you observe him from a DISTANCE and note the behaviour. If continuing to be suspicious then phone the Bill. Continue observation and follow to see where he lives. Do not challenge even though most burglars/thieves are non-aggressive.

• 3 months later...