Missed bin collection

B&G

10 points to me for the most boring thread of all time.

Last week our recycling bins weren't collected. The entire street, as far as I know.

I've reported a missed collection and just had a response saying that the next date for collection is the 14th (two weeks after the last one), and I should wait till then.

Is this correct? If the answer is "wait till the next one" what is the point of reporting a missed collection?

In the meantime I have three binbags full of recycling in my kitchen, with another 6 days to go for our - seemingly monthly - collection.

Thanks, I'll email Renata.

Seems like it must be someone at Southwark giving answers without actually knowing what the answer should be. I cannot believe there would be a policy that exists for no reason whatsoever. Or maybe I can...

For anyone who is interested - Renata responding to say that since Christmas they haven't bothered to pick up any missed collections due to staff numbers.

Why the opportunity to report a missed collection exists is beyond me. It serves no purpose.

Our missed bins always used to be collected on a Saturday. Our recycling was missed (again - 3rd time this year) a couple of weeks ago and I reported the missed bin collection twice - no response, no acknowledgement, no confirmation of whether the bin would or wouldn't be collected. Contacted Southwark, who played the Covid card. Had to put all of our recycling in the green bin, or else we'll have a full blue bin again as soon as it's been emptied. If they can't collect missed collections due to staff numbers, perhaps they could supply acceptable recycling bags that can be collected with the next regular collection.

• 1 month later...

Hi, I didn't say not bothered, it was due to staff shortages due to Covid (ie actual illness, long Coivd, shielding, quarantine t=etc) that reported missed bins in some cases meant that nothing would happen until the next scheduled collection of that particular bin. These are not normal times and therefore sometimes there are hiccups with services due to this. It seems that recycling bin emptying in the South Nunhead area was particularly a problem for a few weeks. I believe it's back to normal now. In general I would suggest if ever you have too much recycling for your bins, put the excess in a clear plastic bag and it will be picked up when your bin is emptied. Whenever I get a clear bag eg from packaging, I keep it just in case I need it for recyclables.

Renata

That?s the beauty of council charges, they force you into a direct-debit, once that?s banked they can deliver the service you?ve paid for - if and when they feel like it.

You?ve been conned, along with thousands of other Southwark residents.