Flower deliveries (outside John Allen flower shop)

Has anyone else noticed that every Tuesday night a v. large delivery lorry parks right outside John Allen flower shop (Goose Green) - the front of the lorry is right up against the zebra crossing which means that drivers coming down LL cannot see anyone on the crossing and pedestrians have to edge round the front to make sure the don't get run over. I thought it was illegal at all times to park on crossings, but saw a police car slow down and look at the lorry last night and then drove on. (

plus they're imported dutch flowers, killing off the british flower industry. saw an interesting doc on this and i have since stopped buying imported flowers, so yes, we have less flowers but if i'm going to be like that about my veg why be a hypocrite regarding flowers.

it winds me up no end this lorry, blocks up LL causing bad traffic and as pointed out it's actually illegal to park on the zig zag lines...

I'm not quite sure how this thread has developed from a moan about bad parking to a personal attack on the owner.

I've always found him charming and helpful, and I'm female. I appreciate that may not be your experience but perhaps you need to confront him in person, not slag him off on a public forum.

Let's not forget, he generously contributed to the ED Remembrance Wreath.

Hi,

Over the last year I have seen the lorry badly park and get at least 5 parking tickets. I am of the belief that as the lorries are dutch the council do not enforce the tickets, which will frustrate even a parking warden. Also given the size and weight (44 Tons max) they would have to engage the services of a STGO CAT 2 recovery vehicle to remove the truck. I think the simple answer is to speak with the shop owner. If that does not resolve the matter complain to the police as parking on zig zag lines in a offence under the Road Traffic Act.

Regards,

Libra Carr.

I have few experiences of Mr JA, however my friend always buys her flowers there because he flirts with her and she likes it. The other day the two of us went in together, because I was in dire need of being flirted with. Clearly he didn't like the cut of my jib, as he was perfectly polite but sadly no double entendre or general recognition of my gorgeousness. Bah. Other than that, couldn't complain about the service though.

however, yes, lorries are annoying.

as for Dutch flowers - better Dutch than Mexican. More ethical, but still a long way to come. Mama, do you know if there are there any ethical flowers in the area?

maybe the solution would be to move the zebra crossing slightly further up lordship lane? you take your life in your hands anyway when you try to cross there, lorry or not. some drivers obviously think that coming off the roundabount should be done as fast as possible.

Also, i have always got my flowers from JA. he is a lovely man amd the people who work in there are really friendly too. okay, not as 'designer' as the one on northcross road, or as pricy as bonnies, but it is a good shop. as for the english flower industry, i didn't think we had the climate for one! hx

RosieH Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

The other day the two

> of us went in together, because I was in dire need

> of being flirted with. Clearly he didn't like the

> cut of my jib, as he was perfectly polite but

> sadly no double entendre or general recognition of

> my gorgeousness. Bah. Other than that, couldn't

> complain about the service though.

He didn't make any effort to flirt with you, Rosie? The fool.

I would certainly have rose to the occaision and no mistake.

No double entedres? Well you don't get many of them to the pound, do you?

As for your jib it's cut like a schooner and twice as proud, or I'm a Dutchman.

Don't fret petal, stalk is cheap and if your gorgeousness is wasted on JA then it's appreciated here.

Sending hugs.

>

>

Peckhamgatecrasher Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> For a short season we have the glorious Scily

> Isles and Cornwall.

>

wouldn't have thought there was much in it distance wise between importing from the Netherlands or from the Scilly Isles...?