How's the snow?

emza78

Ah, the good old South London microclimate. There's about a cm in Victoria and the place is ghostly. It looks like loads of people stayed at home to avoid the second ice age.

Of course, I won't be joking about it when I'm stuck on the 185 at Vauxhall at 10 tonight after setting off at 5:30.

Main roads in Peckham Rye Ward all OK. Buses running fine. Forest Hill Road a bit of traffic at the moment due to temporary traffic controls as a broken drain cover in the middle of the road is being replaced. Delays on some trains eg Southeastern services via Nunhead and PR. Some schools are shutting earlier, so check with your child's school if they haven't contacted you already.

Renata

Official info sent to Councillors:

Dear Cllrs and chief officers,

here is an update for you about council activity relating to the winter weather over the next few days.

The local forecast

Further snow flurries are expected today and tomorrow. Sunday is expected to be drier but still cloudy. Monday may see patchy snow and sleet then turning to rain.

Highways and footpaths

The priority is to keep the so called resilience and primary networks in the borough clear and therefore pre gritting has taken place for most of the week and will continue over the weekend on those routes. Pre identified footpaths are also being gritted, for example, outside schools, health centres, retail areas and transport hubs. Grit has also been given to the marina and the cemeteries and crematorium have also had roads and paths gritted. Street cleaning teams switch to putting grit down and snow clearance in wintery weather. All of the detailed information about specific locations can be accessed via the winter plan on the winter web pages on the council's website.

http://www.southwark.gov.uk/info/100003/community_and_living/2537/winter_weather

Southwark's estates have already received a stock of grit and gritting is taking place in the following kinds of locations, sheltered housing, uncovered stairs and balconies as well as refuse access areas. Grit stock levels will be checked over the weekend.

Grit

The council's grit stock is currently around 1100 tonnes. To put that in to context, the depot is very nearly full. Any stock that is used up in the pre gritting and gritting this weekend will be replenished by a further order of 300 tonnes which has already been purchased. Grit bins across the borough will be replenished on Monday.

Housing

An on call manager and officer will be in place over the weekend as usual and housing officers are conducting their ongoing checks with any vulnerable residents. Wardens are also making visits to vulnerable people across the borough.

Call centre

The call centre has planned for additional resources to be available this weekend to respond to any increase in calls.

Libraries

Kingswood House and the Library closed at 3pm due to the adverse weather. All other libraries are offering a normal service. The weekend situation will be reviewed first thing tomorrow, but unless there is a real deterioration in conditions, a normal service will resume again.

Schools

Parents and guardians are being asked to contact their school directly to find out about any changes to opening times as this information is no longer collated centrally. CSC will ensure operators are aware and direct callers appropriately. All schools have previously been offered grit and grit bins to help them remain open.

HR

The council has reiterated guidance to staff on the Source about their responsibilities: "All employees are expected to make every effort to attend their normal place of work at the scheduled time to carry out their duties. The responsibility rests with the employee to get to their place of work and to advise their line manager of any difficulties that they are likely to encounter, but it is also appropriate for the employer to offer reasonable assistance when difficult conditions arise".

Information

As well as the winter information pages on the website, the council is using social media channels to keep people updated and directing them to additional info (if required) on the web. This will continue over the weekend.

Updates

We will update you if there are any significant changes. A lead officer group will hold a teleconference tomorrow (Saturday) to ensure everything remains on track. Members are asked to direct enquiries to the members' line as usual.

Renata

If you're driving, please, please, give way to people coming up the hill.

This is in particular aimed towards the tw*t who forced me to stop on Upland Rd (even though there was loads of room for him to pull over).

I've pretty experienced in the snow , 1000s of miles under my belt, but a hill start is never easy in it. I almost gave up near the top and reversed back to Goodrich.