>

> You can pass your driving test at 17 and then

> never have another day's training for the rest of

> your life. As well as speed awareness courses for

> those caught speeding, I'd love it if there was

> compulsory retraining for those of you who no

> longer meet the minimum standards of the driving

> test.

This was really brought home to me recently. I passed my test in my late teens but never owned a car. I drove occasionally on holiday but hadn't been behind the wheel in over a decade when I decided I was going to buy a car.

I did book a few refresher sessions with a driving instructor before doing so. I've been a cyclist commuter for years so have fairly good road awareness. But it was terrifyingly easy to get a car, get insurance as they seem only to care about how long you've had your license rather than used it.

Whilst totally off topic, the maintenance of driving standards is an important issue. Few drivers go for advanced driver training. Young/inexperienced drivers often have to behave themselves as they need a black box as part of the insurance policy but at the first opportunity get rid of this. The police have long since routinely stopped drivers for poor driving - back in the day I was stopped and also with other young drivers, by the police, for relatively minor things and then given a lecture following a quick kick of the tyres etc.

Not seen to be a good use of police time now, plus much lower numbers, but you can get away with being a poor driver and of course nobody admits to it.

More draconian punishment may work for example for hands held mobiles, but you are not going to give points/fine for those that can't be arsed to indicate, braking hard/late etc etc. I'm still thinking about putting a video up on YouTube on how to drive in traffic calmed areas (hint, minimum use of the brake)