Pedestrianization of Lordship Lane

There already is a LL bypass, it?s called Crystal Palace Rd.

Just a matter of time until a serious injury / fatality on there.

slarti b Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> An interesting idea and I can see real benefits,

> but the council would need to work out where to

> divert displaced traffic. Looking at the map

> there is a clear alternative, Melbourne Grove,

> which could become the Lordship Lane bypass, just

> as Croxted and EDG have been turned into the

> Dulwich Village bypass.

>

> Obviously it would be necessary to remove the

> existing road-humps and other traffic calming

> measures on Melbourne and probably stop on-street

> parking. But I am sure the Melbourn Grove

> residents who previously supported closure of

> their own road will be happy to make this

> sacrifice in the cause of Active Travel.

Dogkennelhillbilly Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> jazzer Wrote:

> --------------------------------------------------

> -----

> > Just think back years ago when it was home to

> the

> > likes of Woolworths, Halfords, M&S, C&A, Jones

> &

> > Higgins, Holdrens, Times furniture - it was

> huge,

> > Austins, Coles, Tobacconist, Deli under the

> > station,

> Of all the fascias you mention, only M&S and

> Halfords still exist. Halfords has gone to a

> retail park model (and is actually half a bike

> shop), and M&S has flailed.

>

> Retail is a brutal business. Landlords' rent

> expectations are ridiculous. Consumer tastes have

> changed. Demand has changed. And more than a

> decade of austerity has entrenched poverty in

> places like Peckham. Rye Lane isn't just a story

> of "council mismanagement" or pedestrianisation -

> it's a 19th/20th century retail streetscape that

> doesn't match 21st century needs.

Can't argue with that, other names I missed from Rye Lane was Kennedy's - ham, cheese, pies and other glorious items, BSM, Dunn & Co, The bag shop, Wimpy bar, Fads (decorating store), The Post Office, Dewhurst the butchers next door (double fronted shop), Finfare supermarket (probably one of the first supermarkets for what we take supermarkets to be today, Tesco (originally close to where the Barclays bank was at the top of the lane), Cooperative at the top of the lane and in its day it was huge, three or four shop fronts at least and a couple of floors high, Austins, the very old photographic shop on the corner of Choumart Road, British Gas showroom next door, London Electricity Board show room on the other corner of Choumart road, the Heaton arms, The Kings Arms pubs, the original Woodfalls opticians on the other side of Rye Lane, the record shop around the corner (can't remember its name, was run by a woman).

It was sad to see the likes of Whittens go (although expensive) they were convenient and had a captured market as no other timber yards where in the locality.

As you say the market has changed, the demographics of Peckham changed, and it is what is now. As landlords charge exorbitant rent's they ultimately suffer with leaseholders who cannot afford the rent demands and it results in empty properties not producing a regular monthly passive income. They lose, the leaseholder loses and the consumer loses.

Just showing my age now.

Jim

Just watch the carnage that would cause on Crystal Palace road, not to mention the loss of buses on the Lane sending them down Barry Road.

With the roads off Lordship Lane around Melbourne Grove closed to traffic, the shops will suffer more than they are already.

Not a good idea in the slightest 😱

How about emergency vehicles, how are they supposed to get from one end to the other of LL, plus the buses, plus lorries delivering stock to businesses on LL, and the elderly who rely on public transport to access shops etc, I doubt the traders will be happy with such a proposal.

It is an impractical idea. You've seen how Peckham is withering having had this imposed on it, well if you want to watch and see LL wither, carry straight on.

Any imposed cycle lanes reduce road widths, increase standing traffic, raising pollution levels, increasing journey times, people wake up, this is not a feasible idea.

Thought that this was a facetious thread. As for Rye Lane, I'm most likely to walk or cycle there nowadays, and last time I got the 363 it came a strange way due to waterworks and missed Rye Lane all together. It would be great if the road surface could be properly pedestrianised, with better demarcation between pedestrians and cyclists. As a cyclist it is perhaps worse in some respects as there are less things to constrain your speed - although those parking on the double yellow lines aren't missed. I like what they did to the Northern bit ten or so years ago, but sadly the road was a little too narrow, meaning that buses often mounted the cycle lane destroying the curb. I tried taking this up with TfL but got no where.

There is a general point about mixing pedestrians and cyclist, as a nation when walking we are not that good at looking out for bikes. And of course bikes must look out for pedestrians. I could bore for England on this subject.

Rye Lane is like something out of Quatermass and The Pit at times. It is lacking life from the station downwards to the Rye, especially in the mornings and after shopping hours. It is covered in scrawl (though the odd bit is art) and with no buses it looks even more neglected and lifeless. The trendies will move on soon - to Catford or Deptford or wherever else becomes with-it so don't depend on the youth pound to aid regeneration. Goodness knows what the local councillors and officers are doing to boost footfall and aid retail. Nothing, it seems. (I wrote to the MP but as I do not live in that ward she could not help me, due to rules. Fair enough but the problem remains.)

The lower end of Rye Lane into Peckham Rye has lots of bars and restaurants. So it?s not surprising it?s quiet in the mornings in the middle of lockdown. Of course the hipster demographic may move on, but in other places that has been because they?ve been priced out and those replacing them are attracted by those same bars and restaurants.

As someone who cycles down Rye Lane to get in and out of work, I'm supposed to be benefiting from the closure of Rye Lane to motorised traffic. I would class myself as a slow but traffic-confident commuting cyclist.

Instead, it's pretty much a free for all at key commuting times as the Lane is open for van and lorry deliveries then. In fact, it feels like I'm taking my life in my hands at times. No-one bothers to give way to anyone else, some cyclists go way too quickly and cut up pedestrians who cross the road or stray into the "cyclist" lanes, moped drivers cut off cyclists, delivery vans pull out without looking and because Conway no longer monitor access to Rye Lane during the period when traffic is permitted, cars use it as a cut through without seemingly any consequences. It's a great example of a big statement, rushed through without really thinking about the consequences for shops and customers and then a half-arsed compromise which isn't being supervised or looked at by Southwark. Having the Lane open to motor traffic at peak commuting times makes no sense if you want to encourage people to use it for commuting, and neither option seems sufficiently successful to make up for the total loss of bus access to the shops and station.

"it's a great example of a big statement, rushed through without really thinking about the consequences for shops and customers and then a half-arsed compromise which isn't being supervised or looked at by Southwark."

You have not mentioned no one can get to Rye Lane or leave from Rye Lane because there are no buses.

There are many of us who have great problems walking.

Ask our local Cllr and she never replies. When pressed you get I will take it up with the Council. She is the deputy

leader. Then no answer.

• 3 weeks later...