Laminated notices on lamp posts etc.

Nigello

the-e-dealer Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> You Plonker gooseGreen!

Question

Why do some people resort to petty insults when they start losing in a reasoned argument?

Best Answer - Chosen by Asker

Because they are being led by their pride/ego in arguing with you, not by reason. They may genuinely disagree with you in the beginning, but it's not about having a genuine discussion that brings a real resolution or about speaking the truth for them... they want to be right in the end and to look and feel strong in whatever the position is that they've chosen. They don't have the humility to face the reality that they are not always right. So when it becomes apparent that they are wrong, their pride/ego feels attacked and vulnerable and is afraid to face that fact. So then they try to protect their ego by distracting from the initial argument and attempt make you look bad so that they will feel like they look good again, in comparison... Their underlying reason for digressing to petty insults was all about protecting appearances (no longer about the original subject) - they equate being wrong with being a negative appearance that is unacceptable for them (even if it's reality!).

Thank you Asker!

Homosexuals are routinely burned at the stake? I find that hard to believe (having tried looking it up)!

*Bob* Wrote:

> Green Goose Wrote:

> --------------------------------------------------

> -----

> > Singapore did and you wont see any flyposting

> > there either. It's a much cleaner and more

> > attractive living environment E.D.

>

> I believe oral sex is also illegal without

> intercourse, it has one of the world's highest

> execution rates - and homosexuals are routinely

> burned at the stake.

>

> Just a few more of the fine Singaporean laws that

> we here in ED would do well to emulate - for a

> better society.

Nigello Wrote:

> Typical laissez-faire, cuddly-wuddly reax from a

> fair few ED residents. How can you like

> bedraggled, rainwater-filled, dirty signs and how

> can you tolerate the selfishness and laziness -

> for that it what it is - of those who put them up

> and don't take them down.

> If they are up for a week or so, fine, but after

> the event, they should be taken down. To leave

> them up is the same as saying 'not my problem guv,

> someone else can clean up after me'.

xxxxxx

And the missing animal posters torn down after three days?

What's your non-cuddly-wuddly take on that?

I'm guessing you have no pets.

ETA: And Green Goose, are you really saying that people trying to find their missing cats and dogs are flyposting?

First they came for the putter-ups of lost cat posters, and I did not speak out, because I hadn't lost a cat,

then they came for the putter-ups of primary school fete posters, and I did not speak out, because I didn't have a child still at primary school..........

"Singapore did and you wont see any flyposting there either. It's a much cleaner and more attractive living environment E.D.

GG"

Number of ed residents posting on Singapore forums regularly. None

Number of Singapore residents posting on here. 2

Psychologists can read what they want into that...

Sue Wrote:

>

> And the missing animal posters torn down after

> three days?

>

> What's your non-cuddly-wuddly take on that?

>

> I'm guessing you have no pets.

>

> ETA: And Green Goose, are you really saying that

> people trying to find their missing cats and dogs

> are flyposting?

Yes, most definitely it is flyposting. It is an offensive practice. There are other ways of advising a message. A card in the news agents window costs only very little and helps local business.

And by the way, I have a lovely ginger tom called BigPus. He snuggles up on my lap at every opportunity and when I am out the back he ambushes me playfully by leaping out from hiding. I work on the basis that dogs have masters but cats have servants.

I know my place!

Huggers Wrote:

> First they came for the putter-ups of lost cat

> posters, and I did not speak out, because I hadn't

> lost a cat,

> then they came for the putter-ups of primary

> school fete posters, and I did not speak out,

> because I didn't have a child still at primary

> school..........

xxxxxxx

:)

Green Goose Wrote:

> Sue Wrote:

>

> >

> > And the missing animal posters torn down after

> > three days?

> >

> > What's your non-cuddly-wuddly take on that?

> >

> > I'm guessing you have no pets.

> >

> > ETA: And Green Goose, are you really saying

> that

> > people trying to find their missing cats and

> dogs

> > are flyposting?

>

> Yes, most definitely it is flyposting. It is an

> offensive practice. There are other ways of

> advising a message. A card in the news agents

> window costs only very little and helps local

> business.

>

> And by the way, I have a lovely ginger tom called

> BigPus. He snuggles up on my lap at every

> opportunity and when I am out the back he ambushes

> me playfully by leaping out from hiding. I work on

> the basis that dogs have masters but cats have

> servants.

> I know my place!

xxxxxxxx

Let's hope your lovely ginger tom doesn't go missing.

I doubt if a card in a newsagent's window is going to help find him.

a card in the newsagents??? I think this is tongue in cheek. If I see an missing animal poster plastered to a lampost or fence, I make a point of going over and and having a good read. I think you will find that the posters are usually put around in the area where the animal lives. If they are not lucky enough to have a busy newsagents nearby, what are they supposed to do??

I have seen some missing people posters up too = do you take those down ??

Oral and anal sex were both illegal in Singapore until recently as an 'act of obscenity', but not any longer.

It was actually a British law, so no point in wagging your finger at them ;-)

Singapore is conflict averse, so it has several archaic laws on the statute book simply because tackling them would arouse strongly polarized opinion.

Officially homosexuality is also a crime in technical terms, but not in practice. Charges are raised against homosexuality with the same level of frequency as they are against George Michael in the UK, in other words only if it involves particularly stupid behaviour.

The government has a policy of non-interference in private behaviour, so nothing to worry about there GG.

I suspect that if GG lived in Singapore, the only people that would support his war of attrition on notices would be superannuated, demented but verbose members of the knitting club.

SJ, I'm not convinced that the pleasure myself and Moos get in corresponding with old chums in ED is a reflection of either the idea that Britain is somehow better than Singapore, or that a local distaste for litter can impact upon the quality of online chit chat ;-)

Surely there is a difference between a missing cat/dog and adverts for events that have happened?

The former could be useful in helping to find the missing animal for weeks afterwards (even if it is deceased by the time it turns up in the back of someone's shed, for example). Adverts for an event that in the past are useless, and it is the responsible thing to take them down.

That's very unfair SJ. The Singapore Forum is a buzzing a lively place.

Today's hot topics on TSF:

From 'What's on':

'Public caning on Saturday - who's going?'

General Issues:

'HELP! Small amount of drugs found on me - should I still expect a mandatory death penalty??!'

Lost and Found:

'Has anyone seen my husband? - Possibly indefinitely detained without trial??'

Well all of those could be addressed *Bob*

There never has been public caning in Singapore.

The death penalty for class A drugs only applies for huge quantities (for example over 1.2 kilos of heroin).

The SG legal system is based upon the UK one, and has similar checks and balances to prevent abuse of it.

I don't know what the penalties for fly posting are.

Green Goose wrote:

If it's about missing cats or dogs I ignore them for 3 days - after which the animal has either returned home or has gone to meet its maker. After that they come down.

----------------------------------------------------

Question

Why do some people resort to petty insults when they start losing in a reasoned argument?

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I don't think they're being mean to you. I think they're just describing you.