Friern Road - noisy?

Hi everyone,

I am hoping to move to East Dulwich and am looking at a property on Friern Road, located in the section between Underhill and Goodrich Roads. I noticed the property is located very close to the St Clement with St Peter church, and having looked at their website, it appears they have a church hall with quite a few events going on.

I think it's great that the church appears to be a popular community facility, but I am looking to live somewhere quiet and peaceful, so am wondering whether this may not be the property for me if there are regular events going on there.

I was wondering - is anyone else familiar with this bit of Friern Road, and can the church hall be noisy at times? Could anyone give any other insight into what it's like living in the middle section of Friern Road?

Thanks for reading!

I lived next door to a different church before and had hassle from the next door neighbours dogs and the neighbours above (who woke me at 0200 every Sunday morning coming back from clubbing to party more).

The church I barely even noticed, churchgoers tend to be a fairly respectful bunch.

Can you view the house during a church service to see how it is? I would recommend doing that with any property. A house that is serene and peaceful at 3pm when you're shown around can be hell on earth at midnight.

Incidentally I live round the corner - away from the church though - and it's sublimely peaceful.

Hi Lowlander, thanks for your reply. It's not so much the church services I'm worried about, but more the use of the church hall at night. However, I've looked at their website and it seems to be mostly Tai Chi and yoga, which I can't imagine being particularly noisy! I guess I'm just concerned about music playing into the night etc.

londoner_77 Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> Hi Lowlander, thanks for your reply. It's not so

> much the church services I'm worried about, but

> more the use of the church hall at night. However,

> I've looked at their website and it seems to be

> mostly Tai Chi and yoga, which I can't imagine

> being particularly noisy! I guess I'm just

> concerned about music playing into the night etc.

In all seriousness, I would take a wonder round during the evenings when something is on and listen. It's the only way you'll know for sure.

Is this a serious post? It's south east London. A church is the least of your worries.

Friern Road is relatively quiet. Occasional late night speeding cars using Friern as a cut through can be noisy, or mopeds droning around. But generally its a quiet enough road. If you are worried about a church then l do wonder where you lived before?

Mick Mac Wrote:

> Is this a serious post? It's south east London. A

> church is the least of your worries.

>

> Friern Road is relatively quiet. Occasional late

> night speeding cars using Friern as a cut through

> can be noisy, or mopeds droning around. But

> generally its a quiet enough road. If you are

> worried about a church then l do wonder where you

> lived before?

Completely agree with the above. The passing traffic I imagine would create more noise than the events in the church!

Mick Mac Wrote:

> Is this a serious post? It's south east London. A

> church is the least of your worries.

>

> Friern Road is relatively quiet. Occasional late

> night speeding cars using Friern as a cut through

> can be noisy, or mopeds droning around. But

> generally its a quiet enough road. If you are

> worried about a church then l do wonder where you

> lived before?

Well Mick, you can never be too careful - see below!:

http://www.expressandstar.com/news/2009/05/06/church-hall-fined-over-noise/

http://www.thestar.co.uk/news/neighbours-angry-over-noisy-church-hall-parties-1-4132508

http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?t=4220555

It seems like in this instance there isn't anything to worry about though...

I live near there and its fine, never had any bother. The bells can be annoying on Sunday but I can live with it, if anything its a good thing as the people who attend the church are very polite (except the crazy old women on the mobility scooter). Main problem with friern rd is parking, absolute nightmare.

I've lived for 20 years on Friern on the other side of Underhill so I can't comment about the church. It was a terrible ratrun when we first moved in but now with the various traffic managing measures, it's incredibly quiet and also, I have always found it very friendly.

friern road is one of the nicest and most quiet roads in central east dulwich - way more families than students or young professionals - and much less of a through road than barry road or crystal palace road. i wouldn't let a local church put you off.