Bad traffic jams

Lynne

A driver crashed into the Goose Green Roundabout at the beginning of the month causing a fair amount of damage.

Conway are rebuilding it but because it needs a lot of work and i guess there is no where safe to do that from without closing the road, they've had to put traffic lights in.

In reply to https://www.eastdulwichforum.co.uk/forum/read.php?5,2193682,2193735#msg-2193735

heartblock Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> Honestly, just open the LTNs on days where there

> ate roadworks or temp traffic signals..they are

> actually roads! Southwark get you act together.

And that?s just it, with the recent road closures the contingency for routes has been removed. So when an issue on a main artery arises (several times already in the last 12 months, no?) there is pure gridlock. Well that?s really fecking clever.

Perhaps these stoopid decisions had to occur so that we?d (the council) get the chance to see how unrealistic they are in practice, at least for the moment.

The principle is sound, but I think further actual practical forethought and gradual acceleration of supporting schemes is needed to have succeeded before attempting this next time.

I was just waiting, just waiting, for the sound of an ambulance and the blue flashing lights, to see what happens in this gridlock. One thing that occurred to me was that if I have a heart attack and an ambulance is needed, I?m dead. Most people would be with such gridlock - the ambulance couldn?t even get TO you. Traffic congestion like that means you?re living as good as many miles away from the hospital.

Anyway, I didn?t see an ambulance, how could I? If there had been one it couldn?t have got to LL where I was today in gridlock.

That?s a pretty serious change to your options. Never needed it myself, but I?d much rather have the option of being saved by an ambulance, or having someone drive me to hospital in the case of an emergency. Today was another example of that being as likely to happen as getting an invite to the Dulwich Square tea dance.

Shows how much the council actually cares about air quality. I never thought they gave a monkey's for their ratepayers convenience but I was prepared to believe they might want cleaner air. Why couldn't they open the side roads?

Obviously no-one from The Village is being affected

march46 Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> Not sure why the roadworks haven't been carried

> out overnight, given it's such a major route.

I?m sure those who live close by are very glad they weren?t