help! fine for parking in Tessa Jowell Centre!

Ive just received a fine for parking in the TJC for 14 minutes while I sat in the car. I had delivered my daughter for an emergency blood test and she asked me to wait. I read the signage and couldn't see anything about not being allowed to park there. If I had I would have parked in a residential street. Mind you I was a bit stressed and worried. My daughter as a result ended up in A&E later that evening- its OK, she was alright in the end. Can anyone clarify the rules on this? It was extremely misleading signage.

my daughter went into the reception area - it wouldnt have occurred to her. She is not a driver and was already upset. I was in the car. I would have registered it if I had seen that signage. I didn't get out of the car.Literally pulled in and then pulled out when she came back.

Sorry for your distress Huggers. And thanks for keeping your post rational and factual.

From the perspective of someone who has had a few tickets over the years I found that you have to be philosophical and take it on the chin. But it took me decades to reach this position! I've fought tickets in the past but never won - went through to an appeals to be told that they agreed with me that it was an innocent error (signage, ownership of the car park, time of day, weather) it was still properly issued.

If you consider that the signage could be improved contact them with positive suggestions - whilst old fashioned from time to time I still send a letter as unlike web based/e-mail more likely to be read (I'm talking about you BBC).

My personal view also depends on the size of the penalty - up to ?40 it is "oh well", above that I question whether it is proportionate. Contacting the health trust, MP or whoever could be worthwhile. There was a commitment in the last Cameron manifesto to tackle excessive parking fees, I expect that this was aimed at the private clampers. I was clamped once, I digress. Writing to your MP asking them to take action about penalties that are excessive may be worthwhile, although not sure how high this is on the political agenda at the moment. Lot of interest on NHS parking fees before election.

There is a political point on proportionality in that a bigger agenda should be ensuring better driving standards - it's 'OK' to drive dangerously but if you park in the wrong place, woe betide you. I separately had a battle with another local authority about parking enforcement - most seems to be 9 - 5 Monday to Friday, allowing those on a night out to park where they like. Yes, the Banqueting Hall in Forest Hill, I am talking about you (noting this is aimed at the customers, as the business do have signage saying there is a free car park 3 minutes away).

When I had my first jab there, the first question asked by the volunteer/welcoming guy was 'Have you parked in the car park'?

I think for this very reason.

It needs to be exceptionally clear, it's a health centre. People are likely to be ill/stressed/distracted.

thank you Malambu. The fine is ?85 and ?50 if paid immediately. I do usually cough up and I can see they would not know my reasoning. Its just a machine reading my numberplate.

It was unfortunate that I was literally dropping her off and pulled into a space and she was upset and asked me to wait. Of course if I had read the sign properly I would have given my reg to reception. But I did look at the immediate signage because I wondered if I was allowed to park and it just said who the car park belonged to. It is very annoying as I then had to pay the congestion charge to take her into ST Thomas's where she was referred for a GP appointment at 8pm- a very expensive day.

As it is a free car park I wouldnt think the centre would want people to be penalised like this.

They want me to provide a blood pressure reading urgently :)

I'll leave it a few weeks to settle (Melbourne Grove never asked me for one in 10 years) - I would get caught be this for sure as I have done at Sainsburys.

When I was there the other day (on foot), my first thought was "ooh, I wonder if I can drive/park here in the future". So I checked the signage in the car park, and it said you have to register your vehicle in reception. So to be honest, I think it is pretty clear, and you'll probably struggle to fight this one.

JohnL Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> 37 bus for me when I go down for my blood pressure

> - I think maybe only those who need to should

> drive.

>

> It's not a joke that it goes up if you get

> stressed is it - so no stress for me.

Maddeningly we are walking distance but daughter was not in good state

JohnL Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> 37 bus for me when I go down for my blood pressure

> - I think maybe only those who need to should

> drive.

>

> It's not a joke that it goes up if you get

> stressed is it - so no stress for me.

If you were to walk, which I think is quite doable for you, it will be even lower

I was perturbed by a report back in November about someone else's charge, https://www.eastdulwichforum.co.uk/forum/read.php?5,2164086,#msg-2166483, and had a look around myself few days later. I'll write about that later, when I've compared what I saw then with what's available now.

There are about half a dozen different service providers using the building. I think you're going to have to find an administrator there who is responsible for the premises themselves, and ask them to cancel the charge, which I think would be a wholly reasonable thing for them to do. If it was the GP surgery that was visited, perhaps they would be the best first port of call. It would be interesting to know how many other cases there may have been.

Why can't they just give you an hour or 90 minutes free parking without the hassle of registering at a time when your mind might be on other things?

That would cover most medical visits - presumably what they want to do is stop commuters parking there all day and the cameras already in situ could police that.