Increased graffiti during lockdowns?

Has anyone else noticed a gradual increase in graffiti during the last 6 months, particularly on the shop fronts, private gates, bus shelters etc around East Dulwich road and East Dulwich grove? A bit of a worrying trend I think, and a general sign for social unrest and an increasing lack of care in the local community. Almost certainly linked to schools being out. Is anyone aware of the council taking this more seriously? Had anyone else noticed this?

It's the same down Rye Lane, although that's in part caused by the lane being closed to traffic so the taggers feel free to spray without being observed from passing bus passengers or police patrol cars.

One of the downsides of closing a shopping area to traffic without increasing security.

Nigello Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> Write to the councillor for your ward. They?re

> responsive - to some things.

> https://www.writetothem.com/

> You can also ask the shopkeepers to clean up their

> acts, asking the council to help them free of

> charge. Just get them to ring the environment line

> or switchboard.

> Retail needs all the help it can get so a bit of

> self-interest may persuade them to act.

Nigello great idea for businesses to contact the council. Now they?ve got a date to work towards for reopening they are going to want to do everything they can to encourage trade when they can open again.

Hopefully schools being back and relaxation of the rules (if case numbers allow) will mean those putting the graffiti up have other things to do as the days get longer.

While and post being a Councillor I raise several hundred incidents of graffiti each year.

I've not done this during COVID as i understand the staff have been deployed to COVID related activities. This must get back to normal soon.

Anyone can report graffiti via this - https://www.southwark.gov.uk/street-care/graffiti

If you want graffiti remove from your property use the council website as you can provide the disclaimer.

Or FixMyStreet - https://www.fixmystreet.com

Landlords, and not shop managers, are sometimes the problem so it is not simply a case of saying "that shop is X, Y, Z" when it may be out of their hands to paint the property, etc. (One business that models itself as community asset told me that they though the vandalism was worthwhile because it was a valid form of self expression...) I had liked the shop and had bought stuff from it for years. No more...

Spartacus Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> It's the same down Rye Lane, although that's in

> part caused by the lane being closed to traffic so

> the taggers feel free to spray without being

> observed from passing bus passengers or police

> patrol cars.

>

> One of the downsides of closing a shopping area to

> traffic without increasing security.

They aren't cleaning it as much - the funeral parlour used to clean every bit regularly (obvious reasons) but there's a huge RICH on there now thats been there a few weeks.

If all the shops had shutters inside (like some do) there would be a much reduced incidence. It seems that all shops now have them; it was rare to see a generation or so ago. Is it compulsory re insurance, or do people just follow on and think "she's got shutters on her shop so I should as well"?

Shops are being cleaned - the top of Melbourne Grove had some properties afflicted that are now clean.