Parents of little horse-riders tips please!where to ride a pony?

VALFR59

Hi,

I would take informations about the possibility to do horse-riding (pony indeed) for my 3yrs old .

Daddy bring him to Ruggerbeez class (but had to stop it for this term)...and I would love to offer him to possibility to discover my passion , especially as he is an animals/pets lover like me, and always ask to see the horses my parents have close to their house, asking to climb on them and give them carrots...

Do you know if I can find somewhere not too far from Dulwich? Do I have to go in Kent?

You can Pm me if you want.

Thanks in advance for your help!

Not exactly ED, and I have no experience of any of these, they are just a few I am aware of from driving past or hearing about:

Mudchute City Farm if you can get to the DLR, but it says from 7 years http://www.mudchute.org/equestrian-centre

http://www.mudchute.org/equestrian-centre opposite Eltham College looks really nice

www.willowtreeridinglondon.co.uk/ in Lee takes children from 4 years old.

I think Willowtree just beyond Lewisham is the best place for pony riding. Lots of young children ride there; I don't know if they'll take a child as young as three but it is definitely worth asking. When I went years ago the teaching was exceptional- its at Ronver Road London SE12 0NL

020 8857 6438

www.willowtreeridinglondon.co.uk/

Thanks a lot for your informations!!

I've called Dulwich stabled but they start only at 6yrs...probably they don't have shetland pony, pony breed to start at the youngest age .

I'll explore the others suggestions you've nicely gave to me on that thread.

If I find something great, I'll let know!

Val

Hi

Dulwich stables do have a Shetland, he's a lovely, furry, obstinate creature called Hoobie. They used to do 'pony rides' as opposed to lessons for really young ones, but i think stopped a while back. When I was looking for my 5 year old a few years back found nowhere that would take them that young, so we waited till 6 and she started at Dulwich which was fine, then switched to Mudchute on I of Dogs, which was truly excellent. Think 3 is a bit young really for proper lessons. Used to take my daughter for regular donkey rides on Blackheath to keep her interest up till formal lessons could start. Good luck

Emma

Many years ago, I used to teach novice riding classes and lead hacks, and the youngest we could take was 4 years old for lessons or 5 years old for hacks. This was due to insurance.

The stable had no ponies. All cildren started on horses. It's a common misconception that children need to start on ponies. Many ponies indeed are stubborn foul-tempered little creatures (you probably would be too if children bounced around on your back all day!). A calm, well-schooled horse is just fine, even for young novice riders.

Happy hacking! xx

Sadly the man that did donkey rides on Blackheath passed away late last year. He had to move form his pitch for the Olympics, and I am not sure whether he was allowed back after or if somebody else will take over.

I keep noticing a small paddock on the left side of the train tracks on the vic-peckham rye train somewhere between Brixton and Denmark Hill - not massively helpful as I don't know the exact location, name etc. but if you get that train in the evenings and peer out you'll notice as its v well lit and right by the tracks...