When WILL Dulwich library reopen?

I have a son in Barnet who has been using his local library on a "click and collect" basis for many weeks. I have been pressing the two councillors who have apparently been in charge of Southwark libraries.. They obviously have MScs in obfuscation and vacillation. Whilst I understand that all libraries can reopen on July 4th (yawn yawn)there is nothing to prevent a limited service now. Can we PLEASE have more action and less lethargy??

Best of luck, apbremer.

Last year I noticed quite by accident that Camberwell was open, not Dulwich of course, for a very short space of time. Also Peckham, they tell me. No publicity, web-site out of date and saying they were closed. What a service.

Have to agree it's been a poor show so far..out of interest could you give the names/emails on here so we could all query policy?

apbremer Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> I have a son in Barnet who has been using his

> local library on a "click and collect" basis for

> many weeks. I have been pressing the two

> councillors who have apparently been in charge of

> Southwark libraries.. They obviously have MScs in

> obfuscation and vacillation. Whilst I understand

> that all libraries can reopen on July 4th (yawn

> yawn)there is nothing to prevent a limited service

> now. Can we PLEASE have more action and less

> lethargy??

Don't you ever read a book, DulwichDaddio? If you are a daddio, don't your children read? Can you afford to buy new books every week? Does everyone you know own their own computer and so doesn't need to use the ones in the libraries?

Administrator Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> Good spot Sidhue, DulwichDaddio is Stephen Taylor,

> Trolley Snatcha etc

Already spotted when DulwichDaddio first posted, and I thought reported ....

Only a matter of time before the next incarnation, I suspect ....

We are charitable souls in this forum, are we not? Let us then assume that DulwichDaddio thought that he was being funny. Not really very amusing.

Southwark are still silently hunkered down in their bunkers, so the libraries remain chained up for fear of an infected book. These are vital and expensive community resources. It is disgraceful that they are arbitrarily shut down like this when others in london.are, at least. partly open.

I have not been able to use their 'click and collect system' as the on line page does not appear to offer this service any more. Last year I was able to use this. I also collected and returned books to an open Dulwich Library. Would have thought that the library would be an 'essential service' - I like many others read on a daily basis and the library is my life line as I cannot afford to purchase books. I did buy a few books in St. Christopher's shop at ?2 each, but have read them all. It would be easy to contain numbers going into library just to use computers and select books. Allow each person a maximum of 45 minutes each. They do not have to open up the reference library.

• 2 weeks later...

I understand that a number of boroughs have introduced online 'borrowing' onto 'devices' such as Kindle etc

Is wonderful Southwark doing this?

Notwithstanding CV this must be the future anyway.

I must add tho - I love real books!

Community Books

work on same priciple as one in Marmora RD above

to me

Try Costa Street round the back of Peckham. It was a community food larder which I started adding books to. You may or may not be in luck today, but it's worth people donating to once they're read this and if they live close by. There's even a beautiful little green space

There's a couple of converted red telephone boxes on Lewisham Way that have excellent libraries and always well stocked, I always leave something when I take a book. There is a children's one on the corner of Wickham Road and Lewisham Way and the adult one is opposite Aladdins Cave salvage yard which is also a treasure trove and still open right now.

m

Charlene Hy

Charlene Hy

?

Peckham Rye Park

In the middle of crescent wood road opposite a cream block there is a wood cabinet with books, i will update on exactly what number it is with a picture.

2 days ago

Jackie Poulett

Jackie Poulett

?

Perry Hill

One in Sydenham Road outside the old Co-Op.

1 day ago

Ly M.

Ly M.

?

Wells Way & Peckham Grove

There's one here. 👍📚Community Book Exchange 7 Glengall Rd, London SE15 6NJ Community Book Exchang

e

Community Book Exchange

Alimentari ? 7 Glengall Rd

Costa street SE15

1 day ago

Nina Jamet

Nina Jamet

?

Peckham Rye Park

Just came accross that one on copleston road Se15. Shame the books arent covered though

1 day ago

Karla Richards

Karla Richards

?

Perry Hill

The Polecroft Little Library by the bus stop on Perry Hill: https://polecroft-lane-little-free-library.business.site/

Edited 1 day ago

Gaby Mitchell

Add a comment...

There's one on Asylum Road too.... https://goo.gl/maps/aB83ZpFSuftVve3Z7

1 day ago

Nina Jamet

Nina Jamet

?

Peckham Rye Park

Forest hill road, house facing ryedale

1 day ago

Nina Jamet

Nina Jamet

?

Peckham Rye Park

Really full

1 day ago

Alex cappone

Alex cappone

?

Peckham Rye Park

There is one 'take a book, leave a book' exchange box in Marmora road, just off of Forest Hill road. Another is 'Books of hope and inspiration' on 71 Lausanne road SE15 2HY, near Queens road Peckham. Hopefully below should show a picture.

1 day ago

Lin Henden

Lin Henden

?

East Dulwich

Great idea. Is there one near Lordship Lane?

1 day ago

Kristin Tracy Brook

Kristin Tracy Brook

?

Peckham Rye

As well as the much-needed 'Help Yourself Shelf' for food outside the Copleston Church and Centre on Copleston Road, there is also a community bookshelf for swapping books - always a good, and ever-changing range!

1 day ago

Nina Jamet

Nina Jamet

?

Peckham Rye Park

Yes, i went there today. Unfortunately the bookshelf is exposed, no door, so some books suffered with the rain.

1 day ago

Michael Peacock

Michael Peacock

?

Nunhead

The Aspinall Road Community Gardens SE4 5SQ open 24/7 has a free library.

1 day ago

Rosie Farrer

Rosie Farrer

?

Brockley West

Frendsbury Gardens. Such an amazing little space

1 day ago

Nina Jamet

Nina Jamet

?

Peckham Rye Park

That?s amazing!!!

1 day ago

Tracey S.

Tracey S.

?

North Peckham

Are there any round Sumner rd? I have lots of books to donate.

21 hrs ago

Nina Jamet

Nina Jamet

?

Peckham Rye Park

There's one on Asylum Road too.... https://goo.gl/maps/aB83ZpFSuftVve3Z7

1 day ago

Nina Jamet

Nina Jamet

?

Peckham Rye Park

Forest hill road, house facing ryedale

1 day ago

Nina Jamet

Nina Jamet

?

Peckham Rye Park

Really full

1 day ago

Alex cappone

Alex cappone

?

Peckham Rye Park

The Marmora Road book box is delightful, like a fairy Christmas house. It's at the Forest Hill Road end on the uphill side.

There's also a box on Etherow Road near the top of Friern Road. Mostly for children's books I think but lots of others. It's got a good turnover so always worth looking inside

These are all these very nice and to be commended and I've both donated and taken books.

But they don't begin to address the problem that we've had hardly any viable library service since the first lock-down. Supermarkets,shops, banks and the PO has provided services.

We're paying for the library, as ratepayers, and if we don't complain and stress that there are a lot of people who want a functioning service,I foresee that in the future this will be used as a reason for drastically cutting the library services.

• 2 weeks later...