Garden Bins - subscribing to - how to?

Alec1

Has anyone yet, who subscribed, received their sticker for the upcoming fiscal (April 2021--March 2022)? With the, well, patchy, mail delivery we all suffer from I haven't yet. But has anyone else? I note Southwark's garden collection subscription page hasn't been updated since March 3rd - so no news there.

For what it is worth I to have not received my sticker.

However, when I rang the Council and spoke to a chap in the renewal department I said I had not received any email to renew he said we do not send them now you will have to go on the website and renew it again.

So depends who you speak to to get right or wrong information.

Are the paper sacks still the same size as the old stock I have, about 78 x 58 cm flat? I don't know how that compares exactly with the 240 litres of a bin, but it looks more capacious than a large rucksack, and a rough calculation makes it about 85 litres.

to know the answer I think you need to measure the "opening" of your paper sack, if I remember correctly litres = volume, i.e. converts into cubic meters/centimeters.

ianr Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> Are the paper sacks still the same size as the old

> stock I have, about 78 x 58 cm flat? I don't know

> how that compares exactly with the 240 litres of a

> bin, but it looks more capacious than a large

> rucksack, and a rough calculation makes it about

> 85 litres.

ianr Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> Are the paper sacks still the same size as the old

> stock I have, about 78 x 58 cm flat? I don't know

> how that compares exactly with the 240 litres of a

> bin, but it looks more capacious than a large

> rucksack, and a rough calculation makes it about

> 85 litres.

Thought you had to buy the new bags and pay for collection. Dont think the Council will collect the old ones.

Could be wrong

I've just rediscovered the labelling on the other sides of one of my few old ones. Whether it's different from the current stock remains to be seen, but it has a fill line, as mentioned at https://www.southwark.gov.uk/bins-and-recycling/garden-waste-collection-subscriptions?chapter=2 and says it's 75 litres. So my question remains: are the current stock a nominal 75l. too? I'd be surprised if they're substantially smaller, tbh, but would like to be sure.

I've not found any mention of a charge, apart from the initial purchase of bags, for the arranged 'unscheduled' collection of 1-20 bagfuls. "Collections can only be made using the paper garden waste recycling sacks provided by the council." Those I have are very clearly labelled as such.

If you have bought your bags via the Southwark site then then is no further charge for collection. However, they do supposedly check if you have purchased bags when you book the collection, and aren't supposed to allow you to book a collection if you have "old stock" rather than "purchased stock".

That said, my bin men just take the bags I have purchased and I've never needed to actually book a collection, so it may be worth just leaving them out.