Car constantly being sandwiched/blocked on the road, help!

cab

This isn't particularly interesting but I wondered if anyone knew the legality of the situation where you can't use your car because 2 others have sandwiched it? I needed to use my van this evening (it's for my partner's business) but I can't as it's been parked bumper to bumper on both sides. I don't know who owns the 2 cars. Irksome! It's on Glengarry Road and I use it regularly so it's not been sitting in the same place yet this keeps happening. It's no larger than an estate car, and it's not a luxury, yet we feel we are being punished somehow! Thoughts appreciated! Thanks

Cab

The rule used to be if you park bumper to bumper expect a nudge.

That's how the French have always parked (back and fore until it bumps) - or was that just a rumour of my youth :)

If its so close its not a nudge but a bang that's needed, I'd be wondering.

Odd? Is it the same two cars that keep blocking you in? In which case a note might be appropriate, but possibly better to find out who they belong to & go and ask if they can leave you enough space to get out?

The parking is tight round here, but it's odd that people should keep parking that close to you?

Presume its partly about differing vehicle turning circles?

Or is it just dopey bods parking at one end instead of in the middle of an available space?

On the road, or on private land? If the former, the Road Traffic Act has an offence of "causing an obstruction" which would seem to be appropriate, although you would prooly need a police officer to be present at the time to report the offence.

Cause unnecessary obstruction by motor vehicle - Contrary to regulation 103 of the Road Vehicles (Construction and Use) Regulations 1986, section 42 of the Road Traffic Act 1988 and Schedule 2 to the Road Traffic Offenders Act 1988

Regulation 103 of the Road Vehicles (Construction and Use) Regulations 1986 creates the offence of unnecessary obstruction.

103. No person in charge of a motor vehicle or trailer shall cause or permit the vehicle to stand on a road so as to cause any unnecessary obstruction.

The penatly is a fixed penalty fine.....althought the Removal and Disposal of Vehicles Regulations 1986 provide for the removal and disposal of broken down, illegally parked or abandoned vehicles police officers powers to get your vehicle towed away in some cases which means the owner will have to pay the recovery costs to get the car back.

One other option here

www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2214098/Now-THATS-park-tight-spot-Car-seen-perched-balcony-apartment-block.html

I'll get my coat ....

Hi everyone, thanks for your kind and funny comments! Love the idea of a van balcony, I'll look into it :) it's different cars that just seem to pick on the van, it's odd. We realise space is at a premium but there are some houses with 2 cars that take up more space! C