Viewing corridor from Dawsons? Hill

MenuGarden

I?m surprised to learn the view of St Paul?s cathedral from Dawson?s Hill is not protected when the one from One Tree Hill is! I think Dawsons? Hill has a better view, probably the best in London, even better than Alexandra palace, Primrose Hill and the London eye. Just looked it up and most of the viewing corridors are protecting aspects from the north, typical London to be so north-centric. Would be great to protect Dawsons? Hill?s view of St Paul?s cathedral whilst there is the chance. How do these things work?

KidKruger Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> There?s a gap in the trees (maintained, I think)

> from the highest point in Nunhead Cemetery

> directly towards St. Pauls.

> You may be aware of this though, as quite well

> known.

We once lingered there too long admiring the view and found ourselves locked in the cemetery 🤣

It's slightly buried within London Planning's website but there's a list of the viewing corridors there:

https://www.cityoflondon.gov.uk/services/planning/planning-policy/protected-views-and-tall-buildings

Tower of London and Palace of Westminster have similar (smaller) protected views. It's why the Leadenhall Building (the "Cheesegrater") slopes backwards, to sort of remove itself a bit from being directly behind St Pauls.

Just looked it up and most of the viewing corridors are protecting aspects from the north, typical London to be so north-centric.

Well London to the north of St Pauls is flat; London to the south is elevated so the issue of viewing corridors was considerably lower when they were introduced. But then again, no-one back then really foresaw 40+ storey buildings...