mobile networks....

Not had any issues with O2 either - in 4 years been here. Choose based on which seems to be offering the best deal. You could go EE if you want 4G mobile. Or O2 might be better if like me you bundle your home phone and broadband to get an overall cheaper deal.

I'd recommend having a look at GiffGaff: http://giffgaff.com/orders/affiliate/robmiller31 (if you sign up using that link we each gain a fiver).

It's very low cost (especially good for 3G data if you buy a monthly 'goodie bag'), and I calculated it was much cheaper than buying a 'subsidised' phone on the usual tariffs from mainstream carriers. I've been very happy since switching.

I live in Wood Vale, and the only network that I can get a reliable signal on at home is Orange. I've always found their customer service to be absolutely superb - they actually do what they say they will, and always understand any issues. Every phone I've ever ordered from them has arrived the next day, including the many replacement phones my daughter has had when she has lost her phone or had it stolen. I don't know if they ever use overseas call centres, but I've never spoken to anyone outside the UK at any time of the day or night. I've tried Vodaphone and 02 in the past, and apart from a near non-existant signal, I found customer care was awful, particularly 02.

and after a bit of research, found giff gaff to offer numerous really good deals. Reception seems fine, too.

There are only 4/5 network providers in the UK (Vod, a UK company; Orange (owned by France Telecom) and T-Mobile (owned by Deutsche Telecom) - now joined as E; O2 - owned by the Spanish Telefonica and 3 (owned by Hutchinson Wampoa) - all other 'mobile' companies are Mobile Virtual Network Operators (MVNOs) leasing service wholesale from the 5 licensed operators. With 4G some new operators have started up in the auction process, including BT for its corporate mobile customers, but at the moment all mobile services are provided across networks run by these 5 operators.

So you need to know who the underlying service provider is for giff gaff to know how service coverage for them operates. I'm afraid I don't.

Giff Gaff use the O2 network. I've been looking at buying a new mobile outright and then signing up to giff gaff. Over the 24 months of a usual contract it should work out about half the price of what I've paid over the last 2 years. You just have the initial upfront cost of the mobile.