> person who called me a derogatory name in the

> street had his or her job taken away for a one-off

> offence.) I would want him or her to apologise in

> writing to me and for the employer to assure me

> that punishment was given. The witch hunt aspect

> of the current discourse (going from 0 - 80) is

> evident when people demand the ultimate penalty

> available for a first offence.

I'm sorry in employment law this would be classed as gross misconduct, so it would indeed be a dismissible offence. It is not just calling someone a name it is discrimination and this can't be tolerated in any organisation, let alone in society. It is not a slap on the wrist issue. I am sure that any apology to the victims coming from this gentleman would be anything but sincere!

Can guarantee it wasn't the first time, people who feel confident in front of work colleagues and in uniform to abuse members of the public obviously feel emboldened and/or enabled by a lack of policing or negative reaction.

As someone who has been o the receiving end of this type of shit too, I'd be disappointed at a 'slap on the wrist' or an opportunity to make amends from the offender.

alice Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> Just looking at ACAS information. Doesn?t look

> like it?s always instantly sackable.

You cannot guarantee anything without proof. I hope you never find yourself on a jury! The verbal attack was wrong and deserves punishment because it was seriously damaging to the victims' wellbeing and against society's basic principles. That does not mean that conjecture and projections instantly become true! Anyone who is interested in knowing what comes of it can ask the OP via PM, otherwise it is just fantasy. I hope they both recover and that the perpetrator is punished, which I suspect will happen.

The the original poster, I'm so sorry this happened to you. It's unacceptable ANYWHERE but is somehow worse in your own neighbourhood, where you should feel welcomed and safe.

I hope the man in question is identified and re-educated.

I also hope this doesn't stop you from behaving just as you were.

(I'm always so happy when I see people holding hands... it just makes me feel optimistic for the human race!)

Nigello Wrote:

> You cannot guarantee anything without proof. I hope you never find yourself on a jury!

hmmm a bit divergent from the thread but a person like siousxiesue's gut feeling is all the law has available to decide what reasonable doubt is if there are no instructions from the judge. Many convictions have some form of doubt.

I was on my bicycle on an empty street when a Veolia lorry driver tried to run me off the road full speed as a joke. Just take the scenario as true without discussion. I took the reg, wrote to Veolia and they took it seriously and followed through. Complain. I don?t want anyone fired. I want retraining and censure.

A Royal Mail driver was on his (hands on) phone at the rear of my work building a couple of years ago. I lost it, told him he should be sacked, before formally complaining. On calming down I didn't really want him sacked, and I was just as grumpy that the Royal Mail may not already be doing stuff to ensure that drivers don't do this.

Separately it is bizarre that professional drivers in logo'd vehicles misbehave themselves

malumbu Wrote:

> Separately it is bizarre that professional drivers

> in logo'd vehicles misbehave themselves

This would imply they haven't been given training. SO obviously the first point, us office workers have this as a matter of course.

Are drivers possibly self employed ?