Co-op closing for a month 6th Feb

Cora

Apologies if already a thread couldn?t see one - Seems irresponsible during a lockdown when people encouraged to shop locally - more people going into fewer shops.. tried writing to head office but no response and too late to stop now anyway - shame

Is this true? Well, apologies if this sounds blunt to the point of upset, Cora, but I like it when supermarkets close - to the degree that Co-oP never reopens. Many reasons too. One being that small shops are good for jobs and the local community, another more immediate one being that supermarkets, like techs, Amazon etc., have enjoyed lockdowns and more especially since smaller neighbouring businesses on and off the high street have had to close to the benefit of... supermarkets.

Hands off CoOp. It is a good supermarket with patchy management. It's got a social conscience and puts its money where its mouth is with its loyalty membership that gives to charity. The products are good and the prices are keen, especially when there is competition from Lidl, etc. (though not within less than a mile). I much prefer to shop there than at the mega-corporate Tesco or Sainsbury's, especially as the local branches of those two are at best glorified mini-marts.

the last Coop refurb was to their Market Fresh format, slate floor and fresh produce, some might argue a massive improvement on what was there previously. It didn't last long, and reverted to the old format - not sure this was a corporate decision across the board, of just select stores.

In my experience the store has always been problematic, it operates like a poorly executed franchise. Chaotic stock levels, de motivated staff. I'm not blaming the shop floor staff, but really Coop's area management need to get a grip, and visit their sites more - maybe this refurb is part of that process?

One VERY big problem in the Co-op is that the Ailes are constantly

crammed / blocked with huge cages of Goods and empty Cardboard boxes making it difficult

to negotiate and avoid other customers.

I realise the need for continuous restocking, but there is constant chaos as there is at checkout(s)?

No one seems to be in Charge.

Foxy

If you want quality fish, meat, wine, bread, cheese, pasta, groceries, detergent top-ups, olives, nuts, cereals, health foods, beer, spirits, your meds, cosmetics, oils, lunchtime snacks and so on, Lordship Lane has it all. It's a decent high street and it doesn't need supermarkets. It only needs what it's already got: proper shops for good quality and conversational shopping.

I disagree. Even without the ongoing and likely continued yuppification of LL and nearby, prices in indy shops will likely be higher and ranges narrower than in supermarkets, which have the benefit of allowing you to shop for several items at the same time. Some shops are great on LL but to think that they can be a supermarket substitute - especially when people need more space to physically distance - isn't right. (LL has good indy shops and a good variety of services, for certain, but some tend to the gift/more upmarket/speciality side.)

Fair enough, can't argue with the convenience, particularly as cars aren't necessary. Some shops on LSL are silly with pricing but there's still a myth in play telling us that supermarkets are the cheapest way to shop - they aren't. Maybe if Co-OP was just much better I'd be more inclined... with 2 M&S's within half a mile of one another and then all the bigger stores, too? Even if I liked supermarkets it'd be a challenge. Who posted that image of a local vintage Sainsbury's on the forum recently? Now that was a good looking venue :-)

I have something I need to get off my chest. When I moved to the UK 4 years ago I was staying in Earlsfield (Wandsworth). There was a Coop on the high street I frequently walked along, and I thought how useful it would be for groceries. But I never went in. I saw signs up about joining the Coop; I thought I needed to be a member to shop there. 🙈

johnqadams Wrote:

------------------------------------------------------- I saw signs up about joining the

> Coop; I thought I needed to be a member to shop

> there. 🙈

In the fifties everybody had a Co-op number to get their divvi 🙂

I think I may have got that wrong 😂

mrwb Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> Why are they closing? Surely they are making money

> in current conditions? Do we really think they

> will reopen.

>

> If not, can only think it's because lots of people

> have left London for the moment.

They're not closing for good. They're closing for a month for refurb/improvements/whatever you want to call it.

To others suggesting it's a failure, clearly it's not as it's still here after many many years.

Stop with this nonsense of continuous slating. Yes it's not the best run outlet of a co-op but it is an essential shop for many that either can't afford the prices of other nearby shops or can't travel further afield.

Many had the same narrow/pompous attitude towards Icelands before M&S strolled on in... if it's not for you then stay away from it. *shrugs

Sue Wrote:

> johnqadams Wrote:

> --------------------------------------------------

> ----- I saw signs up about joining the

> > Coop; I thought I needed to be a member to shop

> > there. 🙈

>

>

>

> In the fifties everybody had a Co-op number to get

> their divvi 🙂

>

> I think I may have got that wrong 😂

That's right. My mother used to collect the Dividend Tokens.

co-op-cooperative-society-tokens-for-bread-and-milk-BEC4DB.jpg

Foxy

we like the coop , like the staff, always get what we need for top ups but usually do weekly shop in Lidl or Waitrose depending on what it is.

M&S are the bane of supoermarkets - they come across as posh (branding) but really are just overpriced and average.

I'm all for a refurb, or a Waitrose or Lidl

And all the people complaining about chains - can we all petition so we can stop the chain Gail's coming to the old BH site? Another overpriced average profit-driven chain.....

Bony Fido Wrote:

> I seem to recall it was a Sainsbury's Freezer

> Centre when we moved to SE22 in 1979 and possibly

> even an International for a while - memory's

> somewhat hazy these days. I still feel like an

> outsider in some ways (moved here from Sussex)

Could that have been Bejam, which I think Iceland used to be?

Iceland was where M&S now is.

But I may have got this completely wrong, in those days I only visited Lordship Lane to go to the Dulwich Tandoori on a Saturday night 😂