What ideas are there to support summer trade?

Jakido

Let?s assume that shops and restaurants are open in the summer, but with restrictions still in place on eating inside, numbers of shoppers allowed in at once etc.

What ideas can be developed now to enable businesses on lordship lane / east dulwich to survive? My suggestions include:

Outdoor space for kids clubs in parks

Outdoor space for gyms to let to do classes

Close some of the side streets along lordship lane to allow restaurants to put seating outside (eg outsiden Franklis)

See if there?s any appetite for shops to have stalls on north cross road some days a week

Allow beer gardens to be run by pubs in some green spaces (as long as they close by 9)

Good concept Jakido

First, whatever happens it needs to compliment the traders, not take away their trade so whilst additional market days sounds good , think of the impact that may have on bricks and mortar traders.

First thing in my opinion is

Let the businesses open and trade

But think about different times of the year, so if things are relaxed enough then Summer, but what if we can't relax till most people are vaccinated so it's autumn or winter

Maybe a range of seasonal ideas is needed and the concept can roll with the seasons

Years ago pretty tapas did evening pop ups in cafes that only opened in the day, great use of space that's not normally open in the evening and that sort of thing would be one suggestion

Love the evening closure of side streets near pubs (I'm now thinking the square in Marrakesh as inspiration)

Completely random idea : some of them could band together and offer short break virtual holidays in school holidays - say three or four country "themes" to choose from, a different restaurant delivering dinner each night (and maybe daily breakfast / packed lunch hampers), a set of "holiday reads", activity books for kids, some nice flowers, some spa stuff, a mystery item from duty-free, some sort of back yard sports activity, a daily entertainment item (on zoom or if we are allowed out, at your house). Am thinking a cooking class, a magician, something related to the theme country. You could do it for the Easter holiday actually, and also supply chocolate eggs. All in the packaging in terms of making it properly and thoughtfully themed - the aim being to take pressure off parents tired of thinking up menus and things to do!

(Am thinking the back yard equipment could be delivered for use for the break eg petanque, pop up swimming pool, table tennis... and picked up / reused for the next customer)..

• 10 months later...
I believe that it would be possible to support sellers who sell their own product. Thus, small-scale manual production can be developed. Already tired of these goods from China. Only strict control and certified products are needed. There must be clear evidence that the item was produced by the seller. I am currently studying management and have a clear picture of business development. In college, we are great at teaching these kinds of grants. The main thing is that the locals did not abuse this help. We need subsidies, control and restrictions on these subsidies.