Best broadband provider for Friern Road and surrounding areas!

FranP

We are currently on Virgin and have had serious problems for a number of months. Which is very frustrating considering we are paying just short of ?50 / month! Can anyone recommend an alternative provider? We need high speed (60-100 mb/s) due to multiple users working from home all day...

Advice very much appreciated!

Fran

We?ve gone with Andrews and Arnold (https://www.aa.net.uk/). Because of their low contention and no traffic shaping etc I?ve found that in practice the performance on a 70Mbit line with two adults and a kid at home working I s indistinguishable from the 300Mbit Virgin line we had (which we never never maxed). Their offer is more aimed at the techie/home office crowd, but that?s what we all are these days! Responsive UK based support from actual people is a bonus too.

I've used Sky for ten years on the lower end of Friern Road. Not had a problem of note in that time (there has been the occasional drop out but usually resolved quickly) My wife and I both work from home and my daughter is online for school and (touch wood) we haven't had an issue. If you are looking for a bundle (phone, TV etc) it might be worth checking for a deal.

I have exactly same issue as original post and was about to ask same - virgin is shocking and has put price up.

Moneysavingexpert.com search tool (based by post code) is really useful and I think I am going to change to plusnet

Virgin can be less straightforward to leave as they use their own line, you need to notify them yourself it seems rather than the switching team of your new provider.

Good luck :-)

Virgin is a nightmare to leave - make sure you get them to send you a box to return all the eqipment or you wil be charged and email confirmation of termination. Yes, you need to notify them yourself. The only good point is in view of current situation, giving you a month to return their equipment which from memory you leave at a courier collection point of which there are several in ED.

I have been with Plusnet and have had no problems.

Never got the speed that Virgin promised.

Thanks for info.. have been on hold or passed from pillar to post (online chat) with customer services since midday. I'll be sure to ask for the box to return equip when I finally get to the right person. They are awful to deal with.