Which local (SE22/21/15) GP surgeries are offering the vaccine?

Nigello

Penguin68 Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

. And some of those

> who are asked to shield are indeed very

> vulnerable, but are not able to be vaccinated

> (e.g. they may be on immuno-suppressant

> medication).

>

Just wondering where you got this information, Penguin68?

I'm on immuno-suppressant medication, and have just been vaccinated, so now I'm rather worried!

I just googled and found this (from the Arthritis Action website - I have no idea how accurate it may be, but it was updated on 14 December)

The bold is mine.

Q: Should I have the Covid-19 vaccination, and will it work if I am immunosuppressed?

A: Several very promising vaccinations will become available over the coming months. They have been shown to be effective in the over 65 age group and it is likely that they will also be effective in those on immunosuppressing medicines too. Certain medicines for example rituximab are known to reduce the efficacy of other vaccinations so many people on this medicine will have already switched to an alternative where possible. Existing vaccinations, for example the annual influenza vaccination is still very effective for people on methotrexate and other immunosuppressing medicines, so it is likely that the Covid-19 vaccination will also be effective.

People in the most vulnerable groups are likely to be offered the vaccination first, so if you are immunosuppressed, the advice is likely to be to accept the vaccination when it becomes available.

I was asked (as I assume everybody is) to take a list of my medication with me, but I wasn't asked for it, I was just asked if I was on blood thinners (no) and also shown a list of the vaccine ingredients and asked if I was allergic to any of them (the only one I recognised was sucrose!!!)

I also know someone who is on an immuno suppressing treatment who has been advised not to have the vaccine at the moment - he had imagined it was because of the treatment but it may have been because of the particular condition he is being treated for (or perhaps the particular stage of his treatment). Either which way, following the advice of your doctor must be the best course of action.